#17198: Local package drop/ignore for specifix XMPP-Ressources/Devices (especially own device) needed.

#17198: Local package drop/ignore for specifix XMPP-Ressources/Devices (especially own device) needed.

Pidgin
#17198: Local package drop/ignore for specifix XMPP-Ressources/Devices (especially
own device) needed.
--------------------+--------------------------------------------
 Reporter:  Sur3    |      Owner:  deryni
     Type:  defect  |     Status:  new
Milestone:  2.12.1  |  Component:  XMPP
  Version:  2.12.0  |   Keywords:  XMPP Ressource Device Blocking
--------------------+--------------------------------------------
 Hello, i have a problem with Ressource/device-handling in XMPP..[[BR]]
 I have myself in the contact list to share memos to myself for different
 devices. Now having different Ressources for the same XMPP-Address at the
 same time seemes to break behaviour in different encryption plugins, as
 OTR doesn't know for what ressources to encrypt for and lurch works fine
 but allways msg'es an annoying error message on every message sent because
 the packets to the own ressource/device can not be decrypted:
 https://github.com/gkdr/lurch/issues/47 [[BR]]
 I'd therefore like to tell libpurple to send only packages to other
 devices and drop packages for the own ressource to having this working
 right.[[BR]]
 I tried to work this around by blocking single Ressources but the blocking
 feature of pidgin seemes to redirect globally to the server for all
 ressources instead of blocking the own ressource just locally.[[BR]]
 An other workaround would be to add different Ressources to the contact
 list but that seemes to ignore the Ressource and just adds the jabber-id
 for all Ressources to the list.

--
Ticket URL: <https://developer.pidgin.im/ticket/17198>
Pidgin <https://pidgin.im>

Re: #17198: Local package drop/ignore for specific XMPP-Ressources/Devices (especially own device) needed. (was: Local package drop/ignore for specifix XMPP-Ressources/Devices (especially own device) needed.)

Pidgin
--------------------------------------------+---------------------
 Reporter:  Sur3                            |       Owner:  deryni
     Type:  defect                          |      Status:  new
Milestone:  2.12.1                          |   Component:  XMPP
  Version:  2.12.0                          |  Resolution:

Re: #17198: Local package drop/ignore for specific XMPP-Ressources/Devices (especially own device) needed.

Pidgin
#17198: Local package drop/ignore for specific XMPP-Ressources/Devices (especially
own device) needed.
--------------------------------------------+---------------------
 Reporter:  Sur3                            |       Owner:  deryni
     Type:  defect                          |      Status:  new
Milestone:  2.12.1                          |   Component:  XMPP
  Version:  2.12.0                          |  Resolution:
Description changed by Sur3:

Old description:

> Hello, i have a problem with Ressource/device-handling in XMPP..[[BR]]
> I have myself in the contact list to share memos to myself for different
> devices. Now having different Ressources for the same XMPP-Address at the
> same time seemes to break behaviour in different encryption plugins, as
> OTR doesn't know for what ressources to encrypt for and lurch works fine
> but allways msg'es an annoying error message on every message sent
> because the packets to the own ressource/device can not be decrypted:
> https://github.com/gkdr/lurch/issues/47 [[BR]]
> I'd therefore like to tell libpurple to send only packages to other
> devices and drop packages for the own ressource to having this working
> right.[[BR]]
> I tried to work this around by blocking single Ressources but the
> blocking feature of pidgin seemes to redirect globally to the server for
> all ressources instead of blocking the own ressource just locally.[[BR]]
> An other workaround would be to add different Ressources to the contact
> list but that seemes to ignore the Ressource and just adds the jabber-id
> for all Ressources to the list.

New description:

 Hello, i have a problem with Ressource/device-handling in XMPP..[[BR]]
 I have myself in the contact list to share memos to myself for different
 devices. Now having different Ressources for the same XMPP-Address at the
 same time seemes to break behaviour in different encryption plugins, as
 OTR doesn't know for what ressources to encrypt for and lurch works fine
 but always msg'es an annoying error message on every message sent because
 the packets to the own ressource/device can not be decrypted:
 https://github.com/gkdr/lurch/issues/47 [[BR]]
 I'd therefore like to tell libpurple to send only packages to other
 devices and drop packages for the own ressource to having this working
 right.[[BR]]
 I tried to work this around by blocking single Ressources but the blocking
 feature of pidgin seemes to redirect globally to the server for all
 ressources instead of blocking the own ressource just locally.[[BR]]
 An other workaround would be to add different Ressources to the contact
 list but that seemes to ignore the Ressource and just adds the jabber-id
 for all Ressources to the list.

Ticket URL: <https://developer.pidgin.im/ticket/17198#comment:2>
Pidgin <https://pidgin.im>
Pidgin

Re: #17198: Local package drop/ignore for specific XMPP resources/devices (especially own device) needed. (was: Local package drop/ignore for specific XMPP-Ressources/Devices (especially own device) needed.)

Pidgin
#17198: Local package drop/ignore for specific XMPP resources/devices (especially
own device) needed.
-------------------------------------------+---------------------
 Reporter:  Sur3                           |       Owner:  deryni
     Type:  defect                         |      Status:  new
Milestone:                                 |   Component:  XMPP
  Version:  2.12.0                         |  Resolution:
Changes (by Robby):

 * keywords:  XMPP Ressource Device Blocking => XMPP resource device
               blocking
 * milestone:  2.12.1 =>

Old description:

> Hello, i have a problem with Ressource/device-handling in XMPP..[[BR]]
> I have myself in the contact list to share memos to myself for different
> devices. Now having different Ressources for the same XMPP-Address at the
> same time seemes to break behaviour in different encryption plugins, as
> OTR doesn't know for what ressources to encrypt for and lurch works fine
> but always msg'es an annoying error message on every message sent because
> the packets to the own ressource/device can not be decrypted:
> https://github.com/gkdr/lurch/issues/47 [[BR]]
> I'd therefore like to tell libpurple to send only packages to other
> devices and drop packages for the own ressource to having this working
> right.[[BR]]
> I tried to work this around by blocking single Ressources but the
> blocking feature of pidgin seemes to redirect globally to the server for
> all ressources instead of blocking the own ressource just locally.[[BR]]
> An other workaround would be to add different Ressources to the contact
> list but that seemes to ignore the Ressource and just adds the jabber-id
> for all Ressources to the list.

New description:

 Hello, i have a problem with resource/device-handling in XMPP.

 I have myself in the contact list to share memos to myself for different
 devices. Now having different resources for the same XMPP address at the
 same time seemes to break behaviour in different encryption plugins, as
 OTR doesn't know for what resources to encrypt for and lurch works fine
 but always msg'es an annoying error message on every message sent because
 the packets to the own resource/device can not be decrypted:
 https://github.com/gkdr/lurch/issues/47

 I'd therefore like to tell libpurple to send only packages to other
 devices and drop packages for the own resource to having this working
 right.

 I tried to work this around by blocking single resources but the blocking
 feature of pidgin seemes to redirect globally to the server for all
 resources instead of blocking the own resource just locally.

 An other workaround would be to add different resources to the contact
 list but that seemes to ignore the resource and just adds the jabber-id
 for all resources to the list.

Ticket URL: <https://developer.pidgin.im/ticket/17198#comment:3>
Pidgin <https://pidgin.im>
Pidgin

Re: #17198: Local package drop/ignore for specific XMPP resources/devices (especially own device) needed.

Pidgin
#17198: Local package drop/ignore for specific XMPP resources/devices (especially
own device) needed.
-------------------------------------------+---------------------
 Reporter:  Sur3                           |       Owner:  deryni
     Type:  defect                         |      Status:  new
Milestone:                                 |   Component:  XMPP
  Version:  2.12.0                         |  Resolution:
Description changed by Sur3:

Old description:

> Hello, i have a problem with resource/device-handling in XMPP.
>
> I have myself in the contact list to share memos to myself for different
> devices. Now having different resources for the same XMPP address at the
> same time seemes to break behaviour in different encryption plugins, as
> OTR doesn't know for what resources to encrypt for and lurch works fine
> but always msg'es an annoying error message on every message sent because
> the packets to the own resource/device can not be decrypted:
> https://github.com/gkdr/lurch/issues/47
>
> I'd therefore like to tell libpurple to send only packages to other
> devices and drop packages for the own resource to having this working
> right.
>
> I tried to work this around by blocking single resources but the blocking
> feature of pidgin seemes to redirect globally to the server for all
> resources instead of blocking the own resource just locally.
>
> An other workaround would be to add different resources to the contact
> list but that seemes to ignore the resource and just adds the jabber-id
> for all resources to the list.

New description:

 Hello, i have a problem with resource/device-handling in XMPP.

 I have myself in the contact list to share memos to myself for different
 devices. Now having different resources for the same XMPP address at the
 same time seemes to break behaviour in different encryption plugins, as
 OTR doesn't know for what resources to encrypt for and lurch works fine
 but always msg'es an annoying error message on every message sent because
 the packets to the own resource/device can not be decrypted:
 https://github.com/gkdr/lurch/issues/47

 I'd therefore like to tell libpurple to send only packages to other
 devices and drop packages for the own resource to having this working
 right.[[BR]]
 This could also be a default setting to begin with as sending packets to
 the own device doesn't make sense in most cases.

 I tried to work this around by blocking single resources but the blocking
 feature of pidgin seemes to redirect globally to the server for all
 resources instead of blocking the own resource just locally.

 An other workaround would be to add different resources to the contact
 list but that seemes to ignore the resource and just adds the jabber-id
 for all resources to the list. This workaround would be related to #2448.

Ticket URL: <https://developer.pidgin.im/ticket/17198#comment:4>
Pidgin <https://pidgin.im>
Pidgin

Re: #17198: Local package drop/ignore for specific XMPP resources/devices (especially own device) needed.

Pidgin
#17198: Local package drop/ignore for specific XMPP resources/devices (especially
own device) needed.
-------------------------------------------+---------------------
 Reporter:  Sur3                           |       Owner:  deryni
     Type:  defect                         |      Status:  new
Milestone:                                 |   Component:  XMPP
  Version:  2.12.0                         |  Resolution:

Comment (by Sur3):

 Ok there is a workaround in lurch now ignoring the incoming pakets from
 the same resource. Therefore i would rate local paket drop/ignore not that
 high, though it would be a much more sane implementation to not send the
 packets to the same resource at all than to just ignore them upon
 receiving.
 But i think that is not as important as #2448 which should have high
 priority!

--
Ticket URL: <https://developer.pidgin.im/ticket/17198#comment:5>
Pidgin <https://pidgin.im>