Change to email voting procedures

Mark Doliner
According to our minutes (https://imfreedom.org/minutes-20070515.php),
at our first board meeting we decided:
"any proposal dealing with the expenditure of more than a total of
$100 (either as a one-time cost, or the sum of recurring
expenditures), must be proposed at least one week before votes are
collected. It may either be proposed for an email vote with one week
of notice, or proposed for vote at a board meeting, provided that the
text of the proposal is present in the meeting agenda one week in
advance."

We have interpreted this to mean:
- votes must be proposed 1 week before voting opens
- the voting period lasts 1 week from the time voting opened

This process feels heavy and slow to me. I'd like to make the following changes:
1. The voting period opens immediately when something is proposed.
2. The voting period lasts 2 weeks.
3. The vote will be considered approved or rejected immediately upon
receiving a majority of votes.

The last point might already be the case, but I want to make it
explicit. Do these changes seem reasonable? It removes a 1 week
opportunity for board members to try to persuade each other which way
to vote.

Also, the above decision only deals with expenditures of more than
$100. I couldn't find any documented process for other votes. Maybe we
should follow the same voting process for that, too?

Re: Change to email voting procedures

Luke Schierer-5
When I proposed the voting by email process, the one week time for discussion was quite intentional.

One of my concerns was that discussion can quite conceivably change someone’s mind, and the one week waiting period gives me (as secretary, responsible for counting the ballots) more assurance that the votes are in fact final votes, that is that someone won’t be looking to change their vote an hour or a day later.

If you want to shorten the process, I could agree to a 2 or 3 day waiting period followed by a voting window.

Luke

On Wed, Dec 4, 2013 at 4:10 PM, Luke Schierer <[hidden email]> wrote:
> If you want to shorten the process, I could agree to a 2 or 3 day waiting period followed by a voting window.

Seems reasonable. How about this?
1. The voting period opens at least 3 days after the vote is proposed.
2. The voting period closes 7 days after it opens.
3. The vote will be considered approved or rejected immediately upon
receiving a majority of votes.

Re: Change to email voting procedures

Luke Schierer-5
That seems reasonable

Luke

On Dec 5, 2013, at 02:54 EST, Mark Doliner <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 4, 2013 at 4:10 PM, Luke Schierer <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> If you want to shorten the process, I could agree to a 2 or 3 day waiting period followed by a voting window.
>
> Seems reasonable. How about this?
> 1. The voting period opens at least 3 days after the vote is proposed.
> 2. The voting period closes 7 days after it opens.
> 3. The vote will be considered approved or rejected immediately upon
> receiving a majority of votes.

Re: Change to email voting procedures

Mark Doliner

Alright, please disregard any previous proposals from this email thread. Here's my revised proposal, with voting to open 1 week from now (I'll send a reminder):

I move to revise the voting process that we agreed upon in our first board meeting (the paragraph beginning "The board voted that any proposal" at https://imfreedom.org/minutes-20070515.php) to the following:

Our voting procedure is as follows:
- Votes may be held either at a board meeting or by email.
- In either case, the proposal will be considered approved or rejected immediately upon receiving a majority of votes in favor or opposed, respectively.
- For votes held at a board meeting, the text of the proposal must be present in the meeting agenda at least 3 days (72 hours) before the meeting begins.
- For votes held over email, the text of the proposal must be sent to the [hidden email] mailing list at least 3 days (72 hours) before voting begins.
- For votes held at a board meeting, the voting period is opened and closed by the chairperson.
- For votes held over email, if an opening time was specified in the proposal then this time is used so long as the time is greater than 3 days (72 hours) after the proposal was sent. Otherwise the voting period opens 3 days (72 hours) after the proposal was sent. The voting period closes 7 days (168 hours) after it opens.

This voting procedure shall be used when dealing with the expenditure of more than a total of 100 USD (either as a one-time cost, or the sum of recurring expenditures). This voting process may also be used at other times, as deemed necessary.

On Sat, Dec 7, 2013 at 10:20 PM, Mark Doliner <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I move to revise the voting process that we agreed upon in our first board
> meeting (the paragraph beginning "The board voted that any proposal" at
> https://imfreedom.org/minutes-20070515.php) to the following:
>
> Our voting procedure is as follows:
> - Votes may be held either at a board meeting or by email.
> - In either case, the proposal will be considered approved or rejected
> immediately upon receiving a majority of votes in favor or opposed,
> respectively.
> - For votes held at a board meeting, the text of the proposal must be
> present in the meeting agenda at least 3 days (72 hours) before the meeting
> begins.
> - For votes held over email, the text of the proposal must be sent to the
> [hidden email] mailing list at least 3 days (72 hours) before voting
> begins.
> - For votes held at a board meeting, the voting period is opened and closed
> by the chairperson.
> - For votes held over email, if an opening time was specified in the
> proposal then this time is used so long as the time is greater than 3 days
> (72 hours) after the proposal was sent. Otherwise the voting period opens 3
> days (72 hours) after the proposal was sent. The voting period closes 7 days
> (168 hours) after it opens.
>
> This voting procedure shall be used when dealing with the expenditure of
> more than a total of 100 USD (either as a one-time cost, or the sum of
> recurring expenditures). This voting process may also be used at other
> times, as deemed necessary.

Voting for this proposal is now open.

I vote in favor.

Re: Change to email voting procedures

Ethan Blanton-3
Mark Doliner spake unto us the following wisdom:

> On Sat, Dec 7, 2013 at 10:20 PM, Mark Doliner <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > I move to revise the voting process that we agreed upon in our first board
> > meeting (the paragraph beginning "The board voted that any proposal" at
> > https://imfreedom.org/minutes-20070515.php) to the following:
> >
> > Our voting procedure is as follows:
> > - Votes may be held either at a board meeting or by email.
> > - In either case, the proposal will be considered approved or rejected
> > immediately upon receiving a majority of votes in favor or opposed,
> > respectively.
> > - For votes held at a board meeting, the text of the proposal must be
> > present in the meeting agenda at least 3 days (72 hours) before the
> meeting
> > begins.
> > - For votes held over email, the text of the proposal must be sent to the
> > [hidden email] mailing list at least 3 days (72 hours) before voting
> > begins.
> > - For votes held at a board meeting, the voting period is opened and
> closed
> > by the chairperson.
> > - For votes held over email, if an opening time was specified in the
> > proposal then this time is used so long as the time is greater than 3 days
> > (72 hours) after the proposal was sent. Otherwise the voting period opens
> 3
> > days (72 hours) after the proposal was sent. The voting period closes 7
> days
> > (168 hours) after it opens.
> >
> > This voting procedure shall be used when dealing with the expenditure of
> > more than a total of 100 USD (either as a one-time cost, or the sum of
> > recurring expenditures). This voting process may also be used at other
> > times, as deemed necessary.

I vote in favor of this change.

Re: Change to email voting procedures

Evan Schoenberg-5
On Sat, Dec 7, 2013 at 10:20 PM, Mark Doliner <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I move to revise the voting process that we agreed upon in our first board
> meeting (the paragraph beginning "The board voted that any proposal" at
> https://imfreedom.org/minutes-20070515.php) to the following:
>
> Our voting procedure is as follows:
> - Votes may be held either at a board meeting or by email.
> - In either case, the proposal will be considered approved or rejected
> immediately upon receiving a majority of votes in favor or opposed,
> respectively.
> - For votes held at a board meeting, the text of the proposal must be
> present in the meeting agenda at least 3 days (72 hours) before the meeting
> begins.
> - For votes held over email, the text of the proposal must be sent to the
> [hidden email] mailing list at least 3 days (72 hours) before voting
> begins.
> - For votes held at a board meeting, the voting period is opened and closed
> by the chairperson.
> - For votes held over email, if an opening time was specified in the
> proposal then this time is used so long as the time is greater than 3 days
> (72 hours) after the proposal was sent. Otherwise the voting period opens 3
> days (72 hours) after the proposal was sent. The voting period closes 7 days
> (168 hours) after it opens.
>
> This voting procedure shall be used when dealing with the expenditure of
> more than a total of 100 USD (either as a one-time cost, or the sum of
> recurring expenditures). This voting process may also be used at other
> times, as deemed necessary.

I vote in favor.

Re: Change to email voting procedures

Mark Doliner

Any last minute votes? Just a few hours left.

Re: Change to email voting procedures

Mark Doliner

Voting for this closed a few hours a few hours ago.

Votes in favor:
- Mark Doliner
- Ethan Blanton
- Evan Schoenberg

That's only 3 out of 7, so this vote does not pass. If anyone intended to vote in favor but forgot to, lemme know and I'll be happy to re-propose.

Re: Change to email voting procedures

John Bailey-4
On 12/22/2013 02:41 AM, Mark Doliner wrote:
> Voting for this closed a few hours a few hours ago.
>
> Votes in favor:
> - Mark Doliner
> - Ethan Blanton
> - Evan Schoenberg
>
> That's only 3 out of 7, so this vote does not pass. If anyone intended to vote
> in favor but forgot to, lemme know and I'll be happy to re-propose.

Sorry about this, Mark.  I meant to vote in favor of it, but the last couple
weeks of the year suck for me and pretty much everything other than work falls
off my radar for several weeks.  If you propose the change again, I'll try to
make sure I get my vote in within the window.

John

On Fri, Jan 24, 2014 at 3:59 AM, John Bailey <[hidden email]> wrote:
> If you propose the change again, I'll try to
> make sure I get my vote in within the window.

No worries. Will do.