Delaware tax filing

Sean Egan
I got mail from our new Delaware agent, NRAI, that we're required to
file a Delaware annual financial report and tax statement at
https://www.nrai.com/CorporateeFile/Overview/tabid/169/Default.aspx by
March 1st. This is the filing we failed to do with the old agent,
which led to us being classified as inactive by the state.

Ethan, can you take care of this filing? I can help with anything you need.

-Sean.

Re: Delaware tax filing

Ethan Blanton-3
Sean Egan spake unto us the following wisdom:
> I got mail from our new Delaware agent, NRAI, that we're required to
> file a Delaware annual financial report and tax statement at
> https://www.nrai.com/CorporateeFile/Overview/tabid/169/Default.aspx by
> March 1st. This is the filing we failed to do with the old agent,
> which led to us being classified as inactive by the state.
>
> Ethan, can you take care of this filing? I can help with anything you need.

I certainly can.  I'll take care of this when I send in our IRS
postcard.

Re: Delaware tax filing

Sean Egan
Thank you.

On Wed, Feb 1, 2012 at 12:18 PM, Ethan Blanton <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Sean Egan spake unto us the following wisdom:
>> I got mail from our new Delaware agent, NRAI, that we're required to
>> file a Delaware annual financial report and tax statement at
>> https://www.nrai.com/CorporateeFile/Overview/tabid/169/Default.aspx by
>> March 1st. This is the filing we failed to do with the old agent,
>> which led to us being classified as inactive by the state.
>>
>> Ethan, can you take care of this filing? I can help with anything you need.
>
> I certainly can.  I'll take care of this when I send in our IRS
> postcard.
>
> Ethan

Re: Delaware tax filing

Evan D. Schoenberg, M.D.

On Feb 8, 2012, at 10:31 PM, Evan Schoenberg, M.D. wrote:

On Feb 1, 2012, at 2:18 PM, Ethan Blanton wrote:

Sean Egan spake unto us the following wisdom:
I got mail from our new Delaware agent, NRAI, that we're required to
file a Delaware annual financial report and tax statement at
https://www.nrai.com/CorporateeFile/Overview/tabid/169/Default.aspx by
March 1st. This is the filing we failed to do with the old agent,
which led to us being classified as inactive by the state.

Ethan, can you take care of this filing? I can help with anything you need.

I certainly can.  I'll take care of this when I send in our IRS
postcard.

Speadshirt sent me a 1099-MISC for the $610 they deposited into the imfreedom account for sales in the Adium merchandise store. Although it has my name on it, it's really for IM Freedom, with our proper tax-exempt identification number.  The document -- kindly torn by my wife who apparently, despite at least 25 years experience reading the English language, is unable to follow "fold and tear as instructed to open envelope" instructions -- is attached.

-Evan

Re: Delaware tax filing

Mark Doliner
Cool, thanks, Evan.  For the benefit of anyone curious, non-profits
that have less than $50,000 income per year aren't required to submit
a full tax return.  Instead we just submit something they refer to as
a "postcard," which basically just says "hey, we're alive and don't
have much income."

Some details here: http://www.irs.gov/charities/article/0,,id=169250,00.html

Re: Delaware tax filing

Ethan Blanton-3
Mark Doliner spake unto us the following wisdom:
> Cool, thanks, Evan.  For the benefit of anyone curious, non-profits
> that have less than $50,000 income per year aren't required to submit
> a full tax return.  Instead we just submit something they refer to as
> a "postcard," which basically just says "hey, we're alive and don't
> have much income."
>
> Some details here: http://www.irs.gov/charities/article/0,,id=169250,00.html

Just to be clear, though, we do have to collect and file documents
such as the 1099 that Evan sent in, in case the IRS comes knocking --
which they can do, if they choose.

Re: Delaware tax filing

Sean Egan spake unto us the following wisdom:
> I got mail from our new Delaware agent, NRAI, that we're required to
> file a Delaware annual financial report and tax statement at
> https://www.nrai.com/CorporateeFile/Overview/tabid/169/Default.aspx by
> March 1st. This is the filing we failed to do with the old agent,
> which led to us being classified as inactive by the state.
>
> Ethan, can you take care of this filing? I can help with anything you need.

All,

I messed up here.  I assumed that financial reports and taxes would
not be due before Apr 15 (per Federal individual filing date) or May
15 (per Federal nonprofit filing date), despite the fact that Sean
clearly said Mar 1 in his email.

I started the process of handling this yesterday, Mar 5, and am
completing it today, Mar 6.  As you may notice, both of these dates
are after Mar 1.  For this reason, we owe a late filing penalty of
$125.00, plus interest of $1.88.  I assume the interest will continue
to rise until the filing is complete.  The original filing fee is $25,
so at this point, we owe $151.88.

Because the late filing penalty is larger than the incidental expenses
amount approved in our by-laws, I would like to ask the board to
approve payment of this amount.  I am going to pay it out of pocket in
the meantime, to halt interest accrual and put us in good standing
with the State.

Sean, I think you have the current contact information for the board.
I need from you the official corporate address and the addresses of
the board members, please.

This situation is entirely my fault, and was avoidable.  I am sorry I
have allowed it to happen.

Re: Delaware tax filing

Sean Egan
On Tue, Mar 6, 2012 at 6:53 AM, Ethan Blanton <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Sean Egan spake unto us the following wisdom:
>> I got mail from our new Delaware agent, NRAI, that we're required to
>> file a Delaware annual financial report and tax statement at
>> https://www.nrai.com/CorporateeFile/Overview/tabid/169/Default.aspx by
>> March 1st. This is the filing we failed to do with the old agent,
>> which led to us being classified as inactive by the state.
>>
>> Ethan, can you take care of this filing? I can help with anything you need.
>
> All,
>
> I messed up here.  I assumed that financial reports and taxes would
> not be due before Apr 15 (per Federal individual filing date) or May
> 15 (per Federal nonprofit filing date), despite the fact that Sean
> clearly said Mar 1 in his email.
>
> I started the process of handling this yesterday, Mar 5, and am
> completing it today, Mar 6.  As you may notice, both of these dates
> are after Mar 1.  For this reason, we owe a late filing penalty of
> $125.00, plus interest of $1.88.  I assume the interest will continue
> to rise until the filing is complete.  The original filing fee is $25,
> so at this point, we owe $151.88.

I'm in favor of paying this full amount. I'll send you addresses off-list.

What is the $1.88 interest on? The $25 filing fee? 7.5% in four days
seems excessive.

> Because the late filing penalty is larger than the incidental expenses
> amount approved in our by-laws, I would like to ask the board to
> approve payment of this amount.  I am going to pay it out of pocket in
> the meantime, to halt interest accrual and put us in good standing
> with the State.
>
> Sean, I think you have the current contact information for the board.
> I need from you the official corporate address and the addresses of
> the board members, please.
>
> This situation is entirely my fault, and was avoidable.  I am sorry I
> have allowed it to happen.
>
> Ethan

Re: Delaware tax filing

Ethan Blanton-3
Sean Egan spake unto us the following wisdom:

> > I started the process of handling this yesterday, Mar 5, and am
> > completing it today, Mar 6.  As you may notice, both of these dates
> > are after Mar 1.  For this reason, we owe a late filing penalty of
> > $125.00, plus interest of $1.88.  I assume the interest will continue
> > to rise until the filing is complete.  The original filing fee is $25,
> > so at this point, we owe $151.88.
>
> I'm in favor of paying this full amount. I'll send you addresses off-list.
>
> What is the $1.88 interest on? The $25 filing fee? 7.5% in four days
> seems excessive.
The answer to that question is not clear from the online forms.

Re: Delaware tax filing

Mark Doliner
On Tue, Mar 6, 2012 at 6:53 AM, Ethan Blanton <[hidden email]> wrote:
> we owe a late filing penalty of
> $125.00, plus interest of $1.88.  I assume the interest will continue
> to rise until the filing is complete.  The original filing fee is $25,
> so at this point, we owe $151.88.  I would like to ask the board to
> approve payment of this amount.

I approve paying that amount.

Re: Delaware tax filing

Evan D. Schoenberg, M.D.

On Mar 6, 2012, at 12:48 PM, Mark Doliner <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 6, 2012 at 6:53 AM, Ethan Blanton <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> we owe a late filing penalty of
>> $125.00, plus interest of $1.88.  I assume the interest will continue
>> to rise until the filing is complete.  The original filing fee is $25,
>> so at this point, we owe $151.88.  I would like to ask the board to
>> approve payment of this amount.
>
> I approve paying that amount.

I also vote my approval.

Ethan, I would have assumed the same regarding the dates. Don't beat yourself up over the missed deadline.

-Evan

Re: Delaware tax filing

Luke Schierer-5
I vote to pay the full amount.

Luke

On Mar 6, 2012, at 14:23 EST, Evan Schoenberg wrote:

> On Mar 6, 2012, at 12:48 PM, Mark Doliner <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Mar 6, 2012 at 6:53 AM, Ethan Blanton <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> we owe a late filing penalty of
>>> $125.00, plus interest of $1.88.  I assume the interest will continue
>>> to rise until the filing is complete.  The original filing fee is $25,
>>> so at this point, we owe $151.88.  I would like to ask the board to
>>> approve payment of this amount.
>>
>> I approve paying that amount.
>
> I also vote my approval.
>
> Ethan, I would have assumed the same regarding the dates. Don't beat yourself up over the missed deadline.
>
> -Evan

Re: Delaware tax filing

John Bailey-4
On 03/06/2012 09:30 PM, Luke Schierer wrote:
> I vote to pay the full amount.
>
> Luke

I know I'm late to the party, but I also vote in favor of paying the full amount.

I apologize; I didn't realize my mail client had stopped checking my pidgin.im
account.

John