Electing Directors

Ethan Blanton-3
All,

We've formed a new board, and we need to elect directors!  Please do
the following for me:

1) Let me know if you'd be willing to be an officer.
2) Let me know what approximate hours UTC are generally good for you
   for an online chat (maybe a Google Hangout?) lasting about one
   hour.  Please be flexible, there are a lot of us and we're in a lot
   of time zones!

The officer positions are:

President: Responsible for things like organizing board meetings and
    making sure various legal things are taken care of.  Should keep
    an eye on other officers for shenanigans.

Vice President: Takes care of things when the President cannot, may be
    asked by the board to do executive-type things.  In practice, this
    means nothing.

Treasurer: Responsible for doing basically everything as far as I can
    tell, including telling the President what the President should be
    doing.  Files taxes, manages bank accounts, etc.

Secretary: Responsible for taking notes at the board meetings, keeping
    an up-to-date list of the officers of the corporation and their
    contact info.

The actual official officer positions and their duties (not the
summaries above) are in our bylaws, here:

    https://imfreedom.org/bylaws.php

My responses will follow as an example.

Re: Electing Directors

Ethan Blanton-3
Ethan Blanton spake unto us the following wisdom:
> We've formed a new board, and we need to elect directors!  Please do
> the following for me:
>
> 1) Let me know if you'd be willing to be an officer.
> 2) Let me know what approximate hours UTC are generally good for you
>    for an online chat (maybe a Google Hangout?) lasting about one
>    hour.  Please be flexible, there are a lot of us and we're in a lot
>    of time zones!

I am generally available weekdays from 1300-2100 UTC and can be
available from 2100-0000 UTC if necessary.  Weekend availability is
possible more or less any time 1300-0000 UTC if necessary.  (This
corresponds to business and evening hours US EDT.)

I am willing to continue as Treasurer.  If I do not continue as
treasurer, I am willing to take a different officer position.

Re: Electing Directors

John Bailey-2
On Thu, Aug 4, 2016 at 11:40 AM, Ethan Blanton <[hidden email]> wrote:

> All,
>
> We've formed a new board, and we need to elect directors!  Please do
> the following for me:
>
> 1) Let me know if you'd be willing to be an officer.
> 2) Let me know what approximate hours UTC are generally good for you
>    for an online chat (maybe a Google Hangout?) lasting about one
>    hour.  Please be flexible, there are a lot of us and we're in a lot
>    of time zones!

I am willing to serve as President or (preferably) Vice President, as
long as I do not have to endorse any checks or make financial
decisions (as this would be considered a conflict of interest with my
current employer, even though I serve no financial function there).

I can generally be available any Monday through Friday, 2200 UTC until
0300 UTC the following morning and any time at all on Saturday or
Sunday, with the exception of August 5-6 and August 26-29 where I
cannot be available at all.

Additionally, I have some options that we can mull over for holding
the chat.  A Google Hangout would work and I quite like that idea, but
I know that is not necessarily something everyone is willing to work
with.  Alternatively, I can provide access to a Slack team I am owner
of or I can host a conference using Zoom.  The Zoom conference is
primarily a video conferencing platform, but it offers a conference
bridge to dial into and the video is optional if connecting to the web
portion of the conference.  I have the ability to record these
conferences, as well.

John

Re: Electing Directors

Mark Doliner
Hi Mark! Don't fret, we voted on new board members at the end of
June/beginning of July and shook things up a bit. Ethan Blanton and
John Bailey are the only existing board members who remained. Me, you,
Sean Egan, Luke Schierer, and Evan Schoenberg were replaced by Gary
Kramlich, Richard Laager, Matthew Needham, Eion Robb, and Jorge
Villaseñor. You can see Sean's original email proposing the change
here: https://imfreedom.org/pipermail/board/2016-June/000448.html And
you can dig around the mailing list archives if you'd like to see the
voting that took place.

The purpose of _this_ thread is for the new board members to decide
upon who will serve the four officer positions.

Hope that helps clarify. Also, hi! Hope you're doing well!
--Mark Doliner

Re: Electing Directors

Gary Kramlich
On Thu, Aug 4, 2016 at 10:40 AM, Ethan Blanton <[hidden email]> wrote:

> All,
>
> We've formed a new board, and we need to elect directors!  Please do
> the following for me:
>
> 1) Let me know if you'd be willing to be an officer.
> 2) Let me know what approximate hours UTC are generally good for you
>    for an online chat (maybe a Google Hangout?) lasting about one
>    hour.  Please be flexible, there are a lot of us and we're in a lot
>    of time zones!

I'm willing to serve as President or Vice President.  I'm generally
available 2300 UTC until 0400 UTC Monday through Friday and basically
any time on Saturday and Sunday.

> Ethan

Gary Kramlich <[hidden email]>

Re: Electing Directors

Matthew
I'm generally available Mo-Sa: 12:00-02:00 UTC and Su: 18:00 - 02:00 UTC.

I'm willing to serve as Vice President, but I'll happily defer to
anyone who wants the position.

On Thu, Aug 4, 2016 at 10:40 AM, Ethan Blanton <[hidden email]> wrote:

> All,
>
> We've formed a new board, and we need to elect directors!  Please do
> the following for me:
>
> 1) Let me know if you'd be willing to be an officer.
> 2) Let me know what approximate hours UTC are generally good for you
>    for an online chat (maybe a Google Hangout?) lasting about one
>    hour.  Please be flexible, there are a lot of us and we're in a lot
>    of time zones!
>
> The officer positions are:
>
> President: Responsible for things like organizing board meetings and
>     making sure various legal things are taken care of.  Should keep
>     an eye on other officers for shenanigans.
>
> Vice President: Takes care of things when the President cannot, may be
>     asked by the board to do executive-type things.  In practice, this
>     means nothing.
>
> Treasurer: Responsible for doing basically everything as far as I can
>     tell, including telling the President what the President should be
>     doing.  Files taxes, manages bank accounts, etc.
>
> Secretary: Responsible for taking notes at the board meetings, keeping
>     an up-to-date list of the officers of the corporation and their
>     contact info.
>
> The actual official officer positions and their duties (not the
> summaries above) are in our bylaws, here:
>
>     https://imfreedom.org/bylaws.php
>
> My responses will follow as an example.
>
> Ethan

Matthew

Re: Electing Directors

OK.  It sounds like 2300 UTC is a possibility for everyone; if I
miscalculated, please let me know!

I propose one of these three times:

2016-08-15 2300Z
2016-08-17 2300Z
2016-08-19 2300Z

Please reply to this email with your availability at these three
specific times.

Re: Electing Directors

Jorge Villaseñor
On Wed, Aug 10, 2016 at 4:23 PM, Ethan Blanton <[hidden email]> wrote:
OK.  It sounds like 2300 UTC is a possibility for everyone; if I
miscalculated, please let me know!

I propose one of these three times:

2016-08-15 2300Z
2016-08-17 2300Z
2016-08-19 2300Z

Please reply to this email with your availability at these three
specific times.

That particular week I will be on vacations so my schedule is all messed up. If we can postpone to next week, it would be great.

If the week of the 22, the same days of the week and time I can the 24(Wed) and 26(Fri).

--
Masca

Re: Electing Directors

Matthew
I'm available any of the five dates and times.

On Wed, Aug 10, 2016 at 7:18 PM, Jorge Villaseñor <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 10, 2016 at 4:23 PM, Ethan Blanton <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> OK.  It sounds like 2300 UTC is a possibility for everyone; if I
>> miscalculated, please let me know!
>>
>> I propose one of these three times:
>>
>> 2016-08-15 2300Z
>> 2016-08-17 2300Z
>> 2016-08-19 2300Z
>>
>> Please reply to this email with your availability at these three
>> specific times.
>>
>> Ethan
>

> Hi,
>
> That particular week I will be on vacations so my schedule is all messed up.
> If we can postpone to next week, it would be great.
>
> If the week of the 22, the same days of the week and time I can the 24(Wed)
> and 26(Fri).
>
> --
> Masca

Matthew

Re: Electing Directors

Gary Kramlich
On Wed, Aug 10, 2016 at 7:18 PM, Jorge Villaseñor <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 10, 2016 at 4:23 PM, Ethan Blanton <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> OK.  It sounds like 2300 UTC is a possibility for everyone; if I
>> miscalculated, please let me know!
>>
>> I propose one of these three times:
>>
>> 2016-08-15 2300Z
>> 2016-08-17 2300Z
>> 2016-08-19 2300Z
>>
>> Please reply to this email with your availability at these three
>> specific times.
>>
>> Ethan
>

> Hi,
>
> That particular week I will be on vacations so my schedule is all messed up.
> If we can postpone to next week, it would be great.
>
> If the week of the 22, the same days of the week and time I can the 24(Wed)
> and 26(Fri).

I can't do the 19th as I'll be driving to go on my vacation, but I can
do any of the other times, including the ones when I'm on vacation.

> --
> Masca

Gary Kramlich <[hidden email]>

Re: Electing Directors

John Bailey-2
On Wed, Aug 10, 2016 at 11:47 PM, Gary Kramlich <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I can't do the 19th as I'll be driving to go on my vacation, but I can
> do any of the other times, including the ones when I'm on vacation.

So from what Jorge and Gary have said, all of Ethan's proposed dates
and times are out.  I can't do the 26th, as I've already pointed out.
I could do the 22nd through the 25th though.  Are there any other
dates we can agree on?

John

Re: Electing Directors

Ethan Blanton-3
John Bailey spake unto us the following wisdom:
> So from what Jorge and Gary have said, all of Ethan's proposed dates
> and times are out.  I can't do the 26th, as I've already pointed out.
> I could do the 22nd through the 25th though.  Are there any other
> dates we can agree on?

It is sounding like Wed Aug 24 @ 2300 is the only time currently on
the table for those who have responded -- Richard, does that work for
you?  What about those who have not responded yet?

Re: Electing Directors

Eion Robb-3
24th of August 2300 GMT  works for me

On 12 August 2016 at 02:48, Ethan Blanton <[hidden email]> wrote:
John Bailey spake unto us the following wisdom:
> So from what Jorge and Gary have said, all of Ethan's proposed dates
> and times are out.  I can't do the 26th, as I've already pointed out.
> I could do the 22nd through the 25th though.  Are there any other
> dates we can agree on?

It is sounding like Wed Aug 24 @ 2300 is the only time currently on
the table for those who have responded -- Richard, does that work for
you?  What about those who have not responded yet?

Re: Electing Directors

Everyone has confirmed Wednesday August 24 at 2300 UTC.  We will hold
our board meeting at that time.  At that meeting we will elect
directors, discuss approval for reimbursing me for maintaining IMF
with our registered agents, and discuss responsibilities and duties of
Instant Messaging Freedom and its directors.

I note that we had several offers to serve in the position of
President/Vice President and several offers to serve in any position,
but no specific mentions of Secretary.  This is a fairly important
position for continuity reasons (the Secretary keeps track of board
members' addresses and contact info) and legal reasons (we just plain
have to have one).  The work load is modest, mostly just keeping track
of some information on the side and taking notes at the board meetings.

I suggest some discussion amongst (y)ourselves prior to the board
meeting to decide who is most willing and able to do what.  It appears
that the only position with only one offer is Treasurer, which I will
maintain unless there are objections or someone else has a desire to
do it.  I have reopened [hidden email] for this purpose if
people should like to use it.  I will be there.

Please let me know if anything has changed and this date does not work
for you.