Keyrings

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Keyrings

Mike Ruprecht
Now that the libsecret keyring has landed, is there any reason to keep
the KWallet and Gnome-Keyring implementations? libsecret uses DBus to
communicate with both of these services [1]. The password API that we
use in the Gnome-Keyring plugin implementation is deprecated in favor
of libsecret. KWallet doesn't complain, but might now be redundant.
Any thoughts?

[1] https://wiki.gnome.org/Projects/Libsecret

_______________________________________________
Devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://pidgin.im/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Keyrings

Richard Laager
On 10/19/2016 02:35 PM, Maiku wrote:
> Now that the libsecret keyring has landed, is there any reason to keep
> the KWallet and Gnome-Keyring implementations? libsecret uses DBus to
> communicate with both of these services [1]. The password API that we
> use in the Gnome-Keyring plugin implementation is deprecated in favor
> of libsecret. KWallet doesn't complain, but might now be redundant.

Assuming libsecret works with both, I would kill off the old keyring
plugins, at least in 3.0.0.

--
Richard

_______________________________________________
Devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://pidgin.im/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Keyrings

Eion Robb-3
Does libkeyring also replace the wincred plugin?

On 20 October 2016 at 12:58, Richard Laager <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 10/19/2016 02:35 PM, Maiku wrote:
> Now that the libsecret keyring has landed, is there any reason to keep
> the KWallet and Gnome-Keyring implementations? libsecret uses DBus to
> communicate with both of these services [1]. The password API that we
> use in the Gnome-Keyring plugin implementation is deprecated in favor
> of libsecret. KWallet doesn't complain, but might now be redundant.

Assuming libsecret works with both, I would kill off the old keyring
plugins, at least in 3.0.0.

--
Richard

_______________________________________________
Devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://pidgin.im/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/devel


_______________________________________________
Devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://pidgin.im/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Keyrings

Mike Ruprecht

On Oct 19, 2016 7:43 PM, "Eion Robb" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Does libkeyring also replace the wincred plugin?

If you mean libsecret? Not to my knowledge. The wincred plugin would need to remain, at least for now. Libsecret is generic, but it would require a secret service implementation for Windows and also DBus on Windows. There are msys2 packages for libsecret and DBus, but who knows if they would actually allow a real DBus session, but that's still lacking a secret service provider. If we'd even want to require DBus to run for Pidgin alone.

> On 20 October 2016 at 12:58, Richard Laager <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On 10/19/2016 02:35 PM, Maiku wrote:
>> > Now that the libsecret keyring has landed, is there any reason to keep
>> > the KWallet and Gnome-Keyring implementations? libsecret uses DBus to
>> > communicate with both of these services [1]. The password API that we
>> > use in the Gnome-Keyring plugin implementation is deprecated in favor
>> > of libsecret. KWallet doesn't complain, but might now be redundant.
>>
>> Assuming libsecret works with both, I would kill off the old keyring
>> plugins, at least in 3.0.0.


_______________________________________________
Devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://pidgin.im/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/devel