No new message alert in Pidgin

Dottie Roberts

Before I switch back to hangouts, I thought I’d contact you.  Can you give me simple instructions to have Pidgin 2.12.0 alert me by popping up notification when I get a new message?

Thank you,

Dottie email signature v2

Re: No new message alert in Pidgin

Constantine
Hypotetically "libnotify-pidgin" plugin does it. In my localized version it's shown in the list as "show popup messages", and upon hovering a mouse you'll see "Description: Pidgin-libnotify".

Unfortunately it's really annoying: instead of "notification API", like notify-osd, it uses plain messagebox. This means α) it appears right in the center of the screen, covering up whatever was underneath, takes out the focus, and it's not transparent β) you can't just continue doing whatever you did, ignoring this notification, because it won't disappear if you don't click or press Escape.

So, I'm also curious to hear if there's a better plugin, because everyone on the internet recommends libnotify.

That said, you better off using hangouts from pidgin than from, well, hangouts, because α) pidgin allows you to configure font of the message being sent, like italic/bold, type, color, etc. Hangouts doesn't. β) I almost didn't use hangouts, but I don't remember it ever popped up notifications either.

On 16.05.2017 00:10, Dottie Roberts wrote:

> Before I switch back to hangouts, I thought I’d contact you.  Can you give me simple instructions to have Pidgin 2.12.0 alert me by popping up notification when I get a new message?
>

> Thank you,
>
> Dottie

Re: No new message alert in Pidgin

Constantine
I just found there's also "guifications" plugin. It's much better, but it doesn't show message content. I.e. it just says "<nickname> messaged you".

On 16.05.2017 06:37, Constantine Kharlamov wrote:

> Hypotetically "libnotify-pidgin" plugin does it. In my localized version it's shown in the list as "show popup messages", and upon hovering a mouse you'll see "Description: Pidgin-libnotify".
>
> Unfortunately it's really annoying: instead of "notification API", like notify-osd, it uses plain messagebox. This means α) it appears right in the center of the screen, covering up whatever was underneath, takes out the focus, and it's not transparent β) you can't just continue doing whatever you did, ignoring this notification, because it won't disappear if you don't click or press Escape.
>
> So, I'm also curious to hear if there's a better plugin, because everyone on the internet recommends libnotify.
>
> That said, you better off using hangouts from pidgin than from, well, hangouts, because α) pidgin allows you to configure font of the message being sent, like italic/bold, type, color, etc. Hangouts doesn't. β) I almost didn't use hangouts, but I don't remember it ever popped up notifications either.
>
> On 16.05.2017 00:10, Dottie Roberts wrote:
>> Before I switch back to hangouts, I thought I’d contact you.  Can you give me simple instructions to have Pidgin 2.12.0 alert me by popping up notification when I get a new message?
>>

>> Thank you,
>>
>> Dottie

Re: No new message alert in Pidgin

Eion Robb-3
There's a few different notifications plugins at https://developer.pidgin.im/wiki/ThirdPartyPlugins#Notifications to choose from.

Constantine, you might also want to try purple-libnotify+ which is an improved version of the libnotify plugin that Ubuntu bundles in with their version of Pidgin.

On 16 May 2017 at 16:10, Constantine Kharlamov <[hidden email]> wrote:
I just found there's also "guifications" plugin. It's much better, but it doesn't show message content. I.e. it just says "<nickname> messaged you".

On 16.05.2017 06:37, Constantine Kharlamov wrote:
> Hypotetically "libnotify-pidgin" plugin does it. In my localized version it's shown in the list as "show popup messages", and upon hovering a mouse you'll see "Description: Pidgin-libnotify".
>
> Unfortunately it's really annoying: instead of "notification API", like notify-osd, it uses plain messagebox. This means α) it appears right in the center of the screen, covering up whatever was underneath, takes out the focus, and it's not transparent β) you can't just continue doing whatever you did, ignoring this notification, because it won't disappear if you don't click or press Escape.
>
> So, I'm also curious to hear if there's a better plugin, because everyone on the internet recommends libnotify.
>
> That said, you better off using hangouts from pidgin than from, well, hangouts, because α) pidgin allows you to configure font of the message being sent, like italic/bold, type, color, etc. Hangouts doesn't. β) I almost didn't use hangouts, but I don't remember it ever popped up notifications either.
>
> On 16.05.2017 00:10, Dottie Roberts wrote:
>> Before I switch back to hangouts, I thought I’d contact you.  Can you give me simple instructions to have Pidgin 2.12.0 alert me by popping up notification when I get a new message?
>>

>> Thank you,
>>
>> Dottie

Re: No new message alert in Pidgin

Constantine
Wow, awesome, just what I wanted!

On 16.05.2017 07:31, Eion Robb wrote:

> There's a few different notifications plugins at https://developer.pidgin.im/wiki/ThirdPartyPlugins#Notifications to choose from.
>
> Constantine, you might also want to try purple-libnotify+ which is an improved version of the libnotify plugin that Ubuntu bundles in with their version of Pidgin.
>
> On 16 May 2017 at 16:10, Constantine Kharlamov <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     I just found there's also "guifications" plugin. It's much better, but it doesn't show message content. I.e. it just says "<nickname> messaged you".
>
>     On 16.05.2017 06:37, Constantine Kharlamov wrote:
>     > Hypotetically "libnotify-pidgin" plugin does it. In my localized version it's shown in the list as "show popup messages", and upon hovering a mouse you'll see "Description: Pidgin-libnotify".
>     >
>     > Unfortunately it's really annoying: instead of "notification API", like notify-osd, it uses plain messagebox. This means α) it appears right in the center of the screen, covering up whatever was underneath, takes out the focus, and it's not transparent β) you can't just continue doing whatever you did, ignoring this notification, because it won't disappear if you don't click or press Escape.
>     >
>     > So, I'm also curious to hear if there's a better plugin, because everyone on the internet recommends libnotify.
>     >
>     > That said, you better off using hangouts from pidgin than from, well, hangouts, because α) pidgin allows you to configure font of the message being sent, like italic/bold, type, color, etc. Hangouts doesn't. β) I almost didn't use hangouts, but I don't remember it ever popped up notifications either.
>     >
>     > On 16.05.2017 00:10, Dottie Roberts wrote:
>     >> Before I switch back to hangouts, I thought I’d contact you.  Can you give me simple instructions to have Pidgin 2.12.0 alert me by popping up notification when I get a new message?
>     >>
>     >>
>     >>
>     >> Thank you,
>     >>
>     >> Dottie
>     >>
>     >>
>     >>
>     >>
>     >>
>     >> _______________________________________________
>     >> [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]> mailing list
>     >> Want to unsubscribe?  Use this link:
>     >>
>     >
>     > [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]> mailing list
>     > Want to unsubscribe?  Use this link:
>     >

Re: No new message alert in Pidgin

Constantine
/me added the reference to Archlinux-Wiki article for pidgin

On 16.05.2017 07:38, Constantine Kharlamov wrote:

> Wow, awesome, just what I wanted!
>
> On 16.05.2017 07:31, Eion Robb wrote:
>> There's a few different notifications plugins at https://developer.pidgin.im/wiki/ThirdPartyPlugins#Notifications to choose from.
>>
>> Constantine, you might also want to try purple-libnotify+ which is an improved version of the libnotify plugin that Ubuntu bundles in with their version of Pidgin.
>>
>> On 16 May 2017 at 16:10, Constantine Kharlamov <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>
>>     I just found there's also "guifications" plugin. It's much better, but it doesn't show message content. I.e. it just says "<nickname> messaged you".
>>
>>     On 16.05.2017 06:37, Constantine Kharlamov wrote:
>>     > Hypotetically "libnotify-pidgin" plugin does it. In my localized version it's shown in the list as "show popup messages", and upon hovering a mouse you'll see "Description: Pidgin-libnotify".
>>     >
>>     > Unfortunately it's really annoying: instead of "notification API", like notify-osd, it uses plain messagebox. This means α) it appears right in the center of the screen, covering up whatever was underneath, takes out the focus, and it's not transparent β) you can't just continue doing whatever you did, ignoring this notification, because it won't disappear if you don't click or press Escape.
>>     >
>>     > So, I'm also curious to hear if there's a better plugin, because everyone on the internet recommends libnotify.
>>     >
>>     > That said, you better off using hangouts from pidgin than from, well, hangouts, because α) pidgin allows you to configure font of the message being sent, like italic/bold, type, color, etc. Hangouts doesn't. β) I almost didn't use hangouts, but I don't remember it ever popped up notifications either.
>>     >
>>     > On 16.05.2017 00:10, Dottie Roberts wrote:
>>     >> Before I switch back to hangouts, I thought I’d contact you.  Can you give me simple instructions to have Pidgin 2.12.0 alert me by popping up notification when I get a new message?
>>     >>
>>     >>
>>     >>
>>     >> Thank you,
>>     >>
>>     >> Dottie
>>     >>
>>     >>
>>     >>
>>     >>
>>     >>
>>     >> _______________________________________________
>>     >> [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]> mailing list
>>     >> Want to unsubscribe?  Use this link:
>>     >>
>>     >
>>     > _______________________________________________
>>     > [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]> mailing list
>>     > Want to unsubscribe?  Use this link:
>>     >

Re: No new message alert in Pidgin

pidgin-5
On 16-05-2017 00:31, Eion Robb wrote:
> you might also want to try purple-libnotify+ which is an improved
> version of the libnotify plugin that Ubuntu bundles in with their
> version of Pidgin.

How does it compare to Guifications?

Is there a Windows DLL?

Thanks!

On 16.05.2017 08:00, [hidden email] wrote:
> On 16-05-2017 00:31, Eion Robb wrote:
>> you might also want to try purple-libnotify+ which is an improved
>> version of the libnotify plugin that Ubuntu bundles in with their
>> version of Pidgin.
>
> How does it compare to Guifications?

It shows the content of a message, so you can decide if it's important enough to reply without looking the chat window/tab. guifications just write "<nickname> messaged you"

guifications seems to be using custom notifications window, whilst purple-libnotify+ is using whatever the command `notify-send Test "This is a test"` uses.

guifications is very configurable, whilst purple-libnotify+ has just expire delay, some checkbox about transient notifications, and scale factor.

> Is there a Windows DLL?

Sorry, I don't know.

On 16-05-2017 01:34, Eion Robb wrote:
> libnotify is a linux-only thing, so no, there won't be any dll's :)

I see.  Thank you!