Our D-Bus implementation

Gary Kramlich
Greetings Programs!

Does anyone know if anyone or anything is using our current D-Bus
exported API?  I know the API is very sub-optimal and would like to
remove it until something better can be put together.  This is mainly
to just clean out the closet and simplify the code.

Please let me know your thoughts! :-D

Gary Kramlich <[hidden email]>

Re: Our D-Bus implementation

Niklas Andersson
I can only think of notifications.

But if the current API is sub-optimal as you write, I would also suggest
removing it. If it is stuff we want to get rid of - the sooner the better.

Regards,

Niklas

On 20/08/16 07:00, Gary Kramlich wrote:

> Greetings Programs!
>
> Does anyone know if anyone or anything is using our current D-Bus
> exported API?  I know the API is very sub-optimal and would like to
> remove it until something better can be put together.  This is mainly
> to just clean out the closet and simplify the code.
>
> Please let me know your thoughts! :-D
>
> Thanks,
>
> --
> Gary Kramlich <[hidden email]>

Re: Our D-Bus implementation

Gary Kramlich
On Sat, Aug 20, 2016 at 8:16 AM, Niklas Andersson
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> I can only think of notifications.

So far we have left notifications up to third party plugins.  That's
why there's guifications, purple-libnotify, purple-snarl, etc.  I
started another plugin named purple-toast that uses GNotification from
Glib 2.40 since libpurple only requires 2.34.

> But if the current API is sub-optimal as you write, I would also suggest
> removing it. If it is stuff we want to get rid of - the sooner the better.

The API was written a very long time ago and is more of "our api over
D-Bus" rather than RPC.

> Regards,
>
> Niklas

Gary Kramlich <[hidden email]>

Re: Our D-Bus implementation

Gary Kramlich spake unto us the following wisdom:
> Does anyone know if anyone or anything is using our current D-Bus
> exported API?  I know the API is very sub-optimal and would like to
> remove it until something better can be put together.  This is mainly
> to just clean out the closet and simplify the code.

I think removing the D-Bus API is reasonable (unless someone screams
that they're actually using it, I guess, but even then it's bound to
change!).  I assume GObjectification will get us some sort of D-Bus
API for "free" right?

Re: Our D-Bus implementation

Gary Kramlich
On Sat, Aug 20, 2016 at 10:44 AM, Ethan Blanton <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Gary Kramlich spake unto us the following wisdom:
>> Does anyone know if anyone or anything is using our current D-Bus
>> exported API?  I know the API is very sub-optimal and would like to
>> remove it until something better can be put together.  This is mainly
>> to just clean out the closet and simplify the code.
>
> I think removing the D-Bus API is reasonable (unless someone screams
> that they're actually using it, I guess, but even then it's bound to
> change!).  I assume GObjectification will get us some sort of D-Bus
> API for "free" right?

For free, no.  But GBus is a million times easier to use and to
actually proxy objects onto D-Bus.

> Ethan

Gary Kramlich <[hidden email]>

Re: Our D-Bus implementation

Jorge Villaseñor
On Sat, Aug 20, 2016 at 8:46 AM, Gary Kramlich <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Sat, Aug 20, 2016 at 10:44 AM, Ethan Blanton <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Gary Kramlich spake unto us the following wisdom:
>> Does anyone know if anyone or anything is using our current D-Bus
>> exported API?  I know the API is very sub-optimal and would like to
>> remove it until something better can be put together.  This is mainly
>> to just clean out the closet and simplify the code.
>
> I think removing the D-Bus API is reasonable (unless someone screams
> that they're actually using it, I guess, but even then it's bound to
> change!).  I assume GObjectification will get us some sort of D-Bus
> API for "free" right?

Oh please kill it. I have had that one on my TODO list for a long time but wasn't
sure if someone actually used it.

I think that given the amount of dev power we have, it is reasonable to remove
some non-core features to reduce code complexity and maintenance cost. At least
until we get more developers.

Thanks Gary for raising the question.

For free, no.  But GBus is a million times easier to use and to
actually proxy objects onto D-Bus.

> Ethan

Gary Kramlich <[hidden email]>

Masca

Re: Our D-Bus implementation

Gary Kramlich
On Tue, Aug 23, 2016 at 12:40 AM, Jorge Villaseñor <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Oh please kill it. I have had that one on my TODO list for a long time but
> wasn't
> sure if someone actually used it.

Unfortunately, it is use in purple-url-handler.

> I think that given the amount of dev power we have, it is reasonable to
> remove
> some non-core features to reduce code complexity and maintenance cost. At
> least
> until we get more developers.

Agreed, but until someone wants to rewrite our dbus-api and update
purple-url-handler we can't remove it.

> Thanks Gary for raising the question.
> --
> Masca