PayPal account for IMF

Mark Doliner
I'd like to open a PayPal account for IMF.  There's a specific use
case I have in mind that I'd prefer not to mention publicly, but we
also might want to use this account for other things:

- I created http://imfreedom.spreadshirt.com/ and
http://www.zazzle.com/imfreedom a while ago.  We haven't advertised
these anywhere, but I'd like to start (with a disclaimer that we only
get a few dollars from each sale, and that plain donations are a more
effective way to donate).  Royalty payments from Spreadshirt can be
paid either by PayPal or by direct deposit into a US bank account.  In
this case direct deposit seems easier to me (and it's possible PayPal
charges a fee for this).  Royalty payments from a Zazzle store can be
paid either via PayPal or by mailing a check.  In this case PayPal
seems easier (and I believe PayPal does NOT charge a fee for payments
from Zazzle).

- We could easily accept donations through PayPal.  I don't think we
need to be pushy about this, but it might be interesting to throw a
Donate button on http://pidgin.im/ and see what happens.

In short, there are a few reasons why it might be useful for IMF to
have this account, and I don't believe it will cost us in any way.
But maybe people have moral objections to PayPal?

Proposal:
Shall Mark Doliner or Ethan Blanton (treasurer--might be easier for
him) open a PayPal business account on behalf of Instant Messaging
Freedom, Inc., for the purposes of accepting funds for the
organization?

Re: PayPal account for IMF

Evan D. Schoenberg, M.D.

On Mar 10, 2012, at 4:20 PM, Mark Doliner wrote:

[...]

Having done this for Adium, I can comment: It's great that folks can get officially sanctioned merchandise and contribute a bit in the process.  That said, it hasn't been a very active storefront for us; my guess is that most of the existing user base doesn't actually go to the website with any frequency.

- We could easily accept donations through PayPal.  I don't think we
need to be pushy about this, but it might be interesting to throw a
Donate button on http://pidgin.im/ and see what happens.

Adium has done this for quite some time, as well.  Again, not hugely active for us, but certainly not harmful, and it has generated plenty of funds to cover the build machines we use and things like Apple developer program membership.

In short, there are a few reasons why it might be useful for IMF to
have this account, and I don't believe it will cost us in any way.
But maybe people have moral objections to PayPal?

"Yeah, but it's the only game in town!"

Just kidding.  I think the low cost of entry makes this a viable impulse-donation system for users, many of whom already have an account.  I've never had issues with them and don't object to it.

Proposal:
Shall Mark Doliner or Ethan Blanton (treasurer--might be easier for
him) open a PayPal business account on behalf of Instant Messaging
Freedom, Inc., for the purposes of accepting funds for the
organization?

I vote yes.

-Evan

Re: PayPal account for IMF

Mark Doliner
Oh!  And are we supposed to wait 1 week before voting on a propsal?
Am I remembering that correctly?  If so, I'll send out another email
in a week to actually kick off the vote.

Re: PayPal account for IMF

Luke Schierer-5

On Mar 10, 2012, at 19:17 EST, Mark Doliner wrote:

> Oh!  And are we supposed to wait 1 week before voting on a propsal?
> Am I remembering that correctly?  If so, I'll send out another email
> in a week to actually kick off the vote.

We are.  Voting will open on 2012/03/17, and close on 2012/03/24 or after it becomes obvious that the motion has passed, which ever comes first.

I will try to send out a second email on the 17th.

Luke

Re: PayPal account for IMF

Luke Schierer-5
Voting is now open.