Pidgin Windows Installer Translations

Richard Laager
What is required to get a new language to show up in the list on the
first screen of the Pidgin Windows installer?

Specifically, I'm asking for our es_AR translator. es_AR shows up in the
list of localizations one can install (and works if PIDGINLANG=es_AR is
set). But there is no "Español (Argentina)" in the initial screen.

--
Richard

Re: Pidgin Windows Installer Translations

Daniel Atallah-2
There are a couple things that go into this.

1. NSIS doesn't support all languages and that list only includes languages supported by NSIS (this is why es_AR isn't available)
2. We only include languages that have > 50% of the installer keys translated

-D

Bugzilla from bjoernv@arcor.de
Daniel Atallah wrote:
> 2. We only include languages that have > 50% of the installer keys
> translated
Personally I think, that the 50% limit of translated keys (for installer
and program?) is too low. 50% means, that the installer (or program) has
a mixed language, 50% English, 50% the translated language.

Greetings,
Björn

Re: Pidgin Windows Installer Translations

TSK! | KNTRO (MindBuildingx/1.75 Greenwich) (Darktech/4.75 Gibraltar
 kompliant)
Hi all,

El 23/3/2017 a las 17:02, Daniel Atallah escribió:
NSIS doesn't support all languages and that list only includes languages supported by NSIS (this is why es_AR isn't available)

I think there's no documentation on this (right?) which is a pity. I spent hours, days and weeks translating and now I understand I've wasted a bunch of hours by doing it. If just a simple warning would be available for translators, then it'd be a very much gently detail. Just my thoughts.

Regards.
--
Don't stop
till the beat is done.

On 03/24/2017 02:28 PM, тѕк❕ (мвχ/3.2 ℓση∂ση) wrote:
> I think there's no documentation on this (right?) which is a pity. I
> spent hours, days and weeks translating and now I understand I've wasted
> a bunch of hours by doing it.

The installer doesn't show up in es_AR, but it does show up in es, so
Spanish speaking users can still use the installer. The installer can
install the es_AR translation, and the es_AR translation works (albeit
with an extra step). Also, es_AR works fine on Linux with no special steps.

If NSIS support for es_AR is important to you, you should contact the
NSIS project and offer to translate NSIS to es_AR. It may not be that
hard for them to add es_AR support if you do the translating. And there
can't be that many strings in the installer. It's a pretty simple piece
of software.

El 24/3/2017 a las 16:31, Richard Laager escribió:
If NSIS support for es_AR is important to you, you should contact the NSIS project and offer to translate NSIS to es_AR. It may not be that hard for them to add es_AR support if you do the translating. And there can't be that many strings in the installer. It's a pretty simple piece of software.

Mmm… thanks for this tip, Richard. I will try contacting them.
--
Don't stop
till the beat is done.