Protocol precedence

pidgin-5
Hello,

I would like to set protocol priority per buddy.

Here are some cases:

1) One of my contacts uses Jabber (desktop) and Hangouts (mobile).
When they are not available on Hangouts, their status is shown as "Invisible" (this is the case with all my Hangouts contacts).
When they are inactive on Jabber, their status changes to "Extended away", even though they are at the computer.
Unfortunately, the Hangouts "Invisible" status seems to take precedence, and I often end up sending to the wrong device.

I would like to indicate that for that contact, the Jabber connection always takes precedence over Hangouts unless it's offline.

2) Another contact uses Skype (desktop) and Hangouts (mobile).
Sometimes they forget to log out of Hangouts, but for some reason it takes precedence over Skype, and again I end up sending to the wrong device.

I would like to indicate that for that contact, the Skype connection takes precedence over Hangouts when they are both available.

How can I do that?

Thanks,
Alex.

Re: Protocol precedence

Eion Robb-3
Hi Alex,

You might find https://developer.pidgin.im/wiki/Using%20Pidgin#IgroupedmybuddiesintocontactscanIcontrolwhichoneisselected to be helpful.  You can drag buddies around in a Contact in order to prioritise them, but the precedence of which one gets highest priority is controlled within Pidgin.

Cheers,
Eion

On 30 May 2017 at 09:50, Alex <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Thanks Eion, but unfortunately in some cases Pidgin makes the wrong choice, and the fact that the user cannot override/customize it is a deficiency that should be addressed.

Is there no plugin that allows for more flexibility?

On 29-05-2017 18:00, Eion Robb wrote:

> Hi Alex,
>
> You might find
> https://developer.pidgin.im/wiki/Using%20Pidgin#IgroupedmybuddiesintocontactscanIcontrolwhichoneisselected
> to be helpful.  You can drag buddies around in a Contact in order to
> prioritise them, but the precedence of which one gets highest
> priority is controlled within Pidgin.
>
> Cheers, Eion
>
> On 30 May 2017 at 09:50, Alex <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> I would like to set protocol priority per buddy.
>
> Here are some cases:
>
> 1) One of my contacts uses Jabber (desktop) and Hangouts (mobile).
> When they are not available on Hangouts, their status is shown as
> "Invisible" (this is the case with all my Hangouts contacts). When
> they are inactive on Jabber, their status changes to "Extended away",
> even though they are at the computer. Unfortunately, the Hangouts
> "Invisible" status seems to take precedence, and I often end up
> sending to the wrong device.
>
> I would like to indicate that for that contact, the Jabber connection
> always takes precedence over Hangouts unless it's offline.
>
> 2) Another contact uses Skype (desktop) and Hangouts (mobile).
> Sometimes they forget to log out of Hangouts, but for some reason it
> takes precedence over Skype, and again I end up sending to the wrong
> device.
>
> I would like to indicate that for that contact, the Skype connection
> takes precedence over Hangouts when they are both available.
>
> How can I do that?
>
> Thanks, Alex.

Re: Protocol precedence

Eion Robb-3
Hi Alex,

The FAQ link there talks about the plugin for customising the priorities.

Cheers,
Eion

On 30-05-2017 00:15, Eion Robb wrote:
> The FAQ link there talks about the plugin for customising the priorities.

True, but it also says "This cannot, however, be done on a per-buddy basis with the existing plugin"

I was wondering if anything changed since.

The reason that I believe that per-buddy priority customization is important is because -- especially with XMPP -- different clients and different servers set statuses differently.  For example, "extended away" may be set after either long or short inactivity time.

Re: Protocol precedence

pidgin-5
On 30-05-2017 00:15, Eion Robb wrote:
> The FAQ link there talks about the plugin for customising the
> priorities.

Also, the plugin supports only 4 statuses.
Often the Hangouts buddy status is "invisible", which is not mentioned.