Re: AIM login

Eion Robb-3
Hi Donald,

If this is related to the development of Pidgin then the development mailing list (cc'd) would be the best place to get in touch.

This AIM update sounds troubling.  Do you have docs and/or a timeline around this?

Cheers,
Eion

On 22 September 2016 at 02:47, Donald Le <[hidden email]> wrote:
To whom it may concern,

I'd need a point of contact at Pidgin for AIM update that would block users from login to AIM.

Thanks,

Donald Le
Tech Director | Product Management and Support AIM Platform
O: 703-265-5645 | M: 703-678-1073
AOL Inc. 22070 Broderick Drive Dulles, VA 20166

Fwd: Re: AIM login

Eion Robb-3

His reply didn't go to the devel list because he wasn't subscribed to it

Re: AIM login

Hi Donald,

I've forwarded your message onto the development mailing list, since you're not subscribed.

Unfortunately a conference call might be difficult as we have dev's all over the world (I'm in New Zealand, for example) but we can try arrange something with someone(s) knowledgeable about OSCAR.

If you have any docs or a webpage about the change that we could read up about it beforehand, that would also be appreciated.
Just to double-check, is there an exact date of when the current auth urls will stop working?

Cheers,
Eion

On 22 September 2016 at 09:38, Donald Le <[hidden email]> wrote:
FYI

You must be subscribed to this mailing list in order to post to it.

Sorry for the inconvenience!

We will sunset the authorizers login.oscar.aol.com and slogin.oscar.aol.com used by your clients today.
Notes: 53809 unique logins in July 2016, 54003 in August 2016 and 50810 to date in September 2016.

Your client has a distID = 0 and "no" DevID. The new authentication path requires a valid distID and DevID.

We will upgrade our AIM client (Legacy, Web and Mobile) in the coming month.

Let's have a conference call to go over the AIM update. Please suggest 2 date/time.

Thanks,

Donald Le
Tech Director | Product Management and Support AIM Platform
O: <a href="tel:703-265-5645" value="+17032655645" target="_blank">703-265-5645 | M: <a href="tel:703-678-1073" value="+17036781073" target="_blank">703-678-1073
[...]

Donald Le spake unto us the following wisdom:
> We will sunset the authorizers login.oscar.aol.com and slogin.oscar.aol.com
> used by your clients today.
> Notes: 53809 unique logins in July 2016, 54003 in August 2016 and 50810 to
> date in September 2016.

I believe we only use these when people have trouble using a method we
call "clientLogin" that uses login.messaging.aol.com.  I'm not sure if
this is the same or not.

> Your client has a distID = 0 and "no" DevID. The new authentication path
> requires a valid distID and DevID.

I believe that this is because we have tried multiple times to get IDs
and were unable to get in contact with anyone who could/would issue
them to us.

Note that libpurple (the IM communication library underlying Pidgin)
is used by multiple clients, and this may affect this issuance.

> We will upgrade our AIM client (Legacy, Web and Mobile) in the coming month.

We appreciate the heads up, although more lead time would of course
have been easier to coordinate.

I will be mostly unavailable over the next few weeks, so hopefully
another developer can schedule a conference call.

Fwd: AIM login

Eion Robb-3

On Wed, Sep 21, 2016 at 6:22 PM, Ethan Blanton <[hidden email]> wrote:
Donald Le spake unto us the following wisdom:
> We will sunset the authorizers login.oscar.aol.com and slogin.oscar.aol.com
> used by your clients today.
> Notes: 53809 unique logins in July 2016, 54003 in August 2016 and 50810 to
> date in September 2016.

I believe we only use these when people have trouble using a method we
call "clientLogin" that uses login.messaging.aol.com.  I'm not sure if
this is the same or not.
<Donald> It's the same.

> Your client has a distID = 0 and "no" DevID. The new authentication path
> requires a valid distID and DevID.

I believe that this is because we have tried multiple times to get IDs
and were unable to get in contact with anyone who could/would issue
them to us.
<Donald> I will create them and send by COB tomorrow the latest.

Note that libpurple (the IM communication library underlying Pidgin)
is used by multiple clients, and this may affect this issuance.

> We will upgrade our AIM client (Legacy, Web and Mobile) in the coming month.

We appreciate the heads up, although more lead time would of course
have been easier to coordinate.
<Donald> The update will start Oct 17th and I can delay 2 weeks for Pidgin.