Shirts and email addresses

Mark Doliner
Sounds like Gary asked about shirts during the board meeting?

Current status:
We have IMF accounts with Spreadshirt and Zazzle, and a few Pidgin
shirt designs in each.
http://imfreedom.spreadshirt.com/
http://www.zazzle.com/imfreedom

I have the credentials for both accounts and I'm happy to share them
with new board members. They both use the [hidden email]
email address.

I also have a [hidden email] login to the IMF PayPal
account that I should hand off to Eion or Matthew (as a backup in case
Ethan vanishes).

Speaking of which, anyone want to update the secretary, president, and
vice.president email aliases on rock to point to the new board
members?

--Mark Doliner

Re: Shirts and email addresses

Gary Kramlich
On Thu, Aug 25, 2016 at 1:12 AM, Mark Doliner <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Sounds like Gary asked about shirts during the board meeting?
>
> Current status:
> We have IMF accounts with Spreadshirt and Zazzle, and a few Pidgin
> shirt designs in each.
> http://imfreedom.spreadshirt.com/
> http://www.zazzle.com/imfreedom

OMG why are they so expensive?!  That said, do we get a cut of those
sales or are those the "at cost" values?

While we're on that track, what do people thing about "profits" when
selling shirts?  Should we be making any money or just sell them at
the bare minimum where we don't get any profits?

> --Mark Doliner

Gary Kramlich <[hidden email]>

Re: Shirts and email addresses

Jorge Villaseñor

On Sun, Aug 28, 2016 at 12:15 PM, Gary Kramlich <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Thu, Aug 25, 2016 at 1:12 AM, Mark Doliner <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Sounds like Gary asked about shirts during the board meeting?
>
> Current status:
> We have IMF accounts with Spreadshirt and Zazzle, and a few Pidgin
> shirt designs in each.
> http://imfreedom.spreadshirt.com/
> http://www.zazzle.com/imfreedom

OMG why are they so expensive?!  That said, do we get a cut of those
sales or are those the "at cost" values?

While we're on that track, what do people thing about "profits" when
selling shirts?  Should we be making any money or just sell them at
the bare minimum where we don't get any profits?

> --Mark Doliner

Gary Kramlich <[hidden email]>

Wow, yes they are expensive.

I think it would be nice to have some sort of regular income for IM Freedom to have more flexibility on what we can do. But before that, or at the same time, we should have a clear path about what we want to use that money for so people know what are they supporting. For example, start some sort of campaign, found conferences,

Re: Shirts and email addresses

Matthew
As expensive as those shirts are, I would guess that there's already
some profit included? If so, I think it makes sense for the to be some
minimal markup on the shirts to raise funds, even if we don't
immediately have a plan for those funds. After all, LOWERING the
amount of unallocated income is a step in the right direction for
accountability. Having a plan is good too. :)

Why are the prices so high?

I think it would be good to have our own shirt, and link to the
merchandising sites for all member organizations. That way everybody
gets exposure and we don't have to manage anyone else's merchandising.
I can't illustrate, but I was a graphic designer in a previous life
and have produced shirts before. I can help with an IMF logo and
shirts.

As VP, I'm fine getting credentials for the accounts.

On Sun, Aug 28, 2016 at 3:49 PM, Jorge Villaseñor <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sun, Aug 28, 2016 at 12:15 PM, Gary Kramlich <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Aug 25, 2016 at 1:12 AM, Mark Doliner <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > Sounds like Gary asked about shirts during the board meeting?
>> >
>> > Current status:
>> > We have IMF accounts with Spreadshirt and Zazzle, and a few Pidgin
>> > shirt designs in each.
>> > http://imfreedom.spreadshirt.com/
>> > http://www.zazzle.com/imfreedom
>>
>> OMG why are they so expensive?!  That said, do we get a cut of those
>> sales or are those the "at cost" values?
>>
>> While we're on that track, what do people thing about "profits" when
>> selling shirts?  Should we be making any money or just sell them at
>> the bare minimum where we don't get any profits?
>>
>> > --Mark Doliner
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> --
>> Gary Kramlich <[hidden email]>
>

> Wow, yes they are expensive.
>
> I think it would be nice to have some sort of regular income for IM Freedom
> to have more flexibility on what we can do. But before that, or at the same
> time, we should have a clear path about what we want to use that money for
> so people know what are they supporting. For example, start some sort of
> campaign, found conferences,

Matthew

Re: Shirts and email addresses

Gary Kramlich spake unto us the following wisdom:

> On Thu, Aug 25, 2016 at 1:12 AM, Mark Doliner <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Sounds like Gary asked about shirts during the board meeting?
> >
> > Current status:
> > We have IMF accounts with Spreadshirt and Zazzle, and a few Pidgin
> > shirt designs in each.
> > http://imfreedom.spreadshirt.com/
> > http://www.zazzle.com/imfreedom
>
> OMG why are they so expensive?!  That said, do we get a cut of those
> sales or are those the "at cost" values?

We occasionally get payments from spreadshirt, so we make something on
those sales.  I do not know how much per item.  Zazzle I do not know.

That said, one-off shirts tend to be quite expensive.  I think group
buys are how small quantity orders are typically handled these days,
to bring prices down.  I've known quite a few projects and
organizations I'm involved with to use teespring for this purpose (I'm
no endorsing them, I don't know much about them, simply mentioning
that it's a thing that people do to drive down costs).

> While we're on that track, what do people thing about "profits" when
> selling shirts?  Should we be making any money or just sell them at
> the bare minimum where we don't get any profits?

I have no opinion, except insomuch that I'd like to see them be
cheaper for sure.

Re: Shirts and email addresses

Matthew
The women's spreadsheets are $6.50 more than for Adium ($29.99 vs
$23.49). I would guess that the "project cost" are the same, so the
difference is probably profit? We could also lower costs by simply
offering less expensive options. Adium's basic shirt is $15.49, and I
believe that includes some profit.

On Mon, Aug 29, 2016 at 3:07 PM, Ethan Blanton <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Gary Kramlich spake unto us the following wisdom:
>> On Thu, Aug 25, 2016 at 1:12 AM, Mark Doliner <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > Sounds like Gary asked about shirts during the board meeting?
>> >
>> > Current status:
>> > We have IMF accounts with Spreadshirt and Zazzle, and a few Pidgin
>> > shirt designs in each.
>> > http://imfreedom.spreadshirt.com/
>> > http://www.zazzle.com/imfreedom
>>
>> OMG why are they so expensive?!  That said, do we get a cut of those
>> sales or are those the "at cost" values?
>
> We occasionally get payments from spreadshirt, so we make something on
> those sales.  I do not know how much per item.  Zazzle I do not know.
>
> That said, one-off shirts tend to be quite expensive.  I think group
> buys are how small quantity orders are typically handled these days,
> to bring prices down.  I've known quite a few projects and
> organizations I'm involved with to use teespring for this purpose (I'm
> no endorsing them, I don't know much about them, simply mentioning
> that it's a thing that people do to drive down costs).
>
>> While we're on that track, what do people thing about "profits" when
>> selling shirts?  Should we be making any money or just sell them at
>> the bare minimum where we don't get any profits?
>
> I have no opinion, except insomuch that I'd like to see them be
> cheaper for sure.
>
> Ethan

Matthew

On Wed, Aug 24, 2016 at 11:12 PM, Mark Doliner <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Speaking of which, anyone want to update the secretary, president, and
> vice.president email aliases on rock to point to the new board
> members?

I did this just now and sent a test email to [hidden email],
[hidden email], and [hidden email].

Re: Shirts and email addresses

Mark Doliner
On Sun, Aug 28, 2016 at 12:15 PM, Gary Kramlich <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 25, 2016 at 1:12 AM, Mark Doliner <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Sounds like Gary asked about shirts during the board meeting?
>>
>> Current status:
>> We have IMF accounts with Spreadshirt and Zazzle, and a few Pidgin
>> shirt designs in each.
>> http://imfreedom.spreadshirt.com/
>> http://www.zazzle.com/imfreedom
>
> OMG why are they so expensive?!  That said, do we get a cut of those
> sales or are those the "at cost" values?

Looks like Spreadshirt is configured to give us $2 per shirt and
Zazzle is configured to give us a 15% royalty (about $4 out of $29 on
an American Apparel ringer tshirt).

Random data point: I should add that I've been happier with shirts
from Spreadshirt recently. My general impression is that Zazzle uses
some sort of dot-matrix-printer-on-a-shirt technology that fades more
quickly after washings, whereas Spreadshirt has the ability to do a
thicker iron-on applicable as long as the source image is a vector
with a limited number of a colors (I don't know if the Pidgin images
on Spreadshirt meet these requirements).

Re: Shirts and email addresses

Matthew
I've received the test to vice.president.

On Tue, Aug 30, 2016 at 12:56 AM, Mark Doliner <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 24, 2016 at 11:12 PM, Mark Doliner <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Speaking of which, anyone want to update the secretary, president, and
>> vice.president email aliases on rock to point to the new board
>> members?
>
> I did this just now and sent a test email to [hidden email],
> [hidden email], and [hidden email].

Matthew

Re: Shirts and email addresses

Matthew
Curious, I wonder why Adium's shirts cost less. I don't have access to
Adium's Spreadsheet store (maybe eventually) to compare settings
side-by-side.

Mark has given me the credentials for Spreadsheet and Zazzle, and I've
confirmed that I can login.

I see that payments are made by check, rather than PayPal; I presume
that's a deliberate choice? It doesn't look like either site contains
(or will reveal) bank details, and they indicate that this will
prevent us from receiving payment. Ethan mentioned that we have
received payments, so I guess there's no need to change things until
the banking details change. We have a $3.20 commission waiting at
Dazzle since 2014, but they only send a check when we've accumulated
$100 ($50 if we use Paypal), while at Spreadshirt we had a $2
commission from July that should have been received in August.

Realistically speaking, I think the current state of the merchandising
is that there isn't even enough income to reliably pay postage ($6.20
since 2011), so I don't think it makes sense to spend any time
planning the best way to spend it. I'm not opposed to keeping the
stores, and including a small commission, simply because I know that
some people have reported buying Adium shirts as a way of
contributing. I would suggest we explicitly state how much we get so
that people can make the informed decision to make a direct donation
if they have something more substantial in mind.

Then again, it appears that this is really more of a Pidgin store than
an IMF store. I don't want to presume to make decisions (or
recommendations) for Pidgin.

On Tue, Aug 30, 2016 at 1:04 AM, Mark Doliner <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sun, Aug 28, 2016 at 12:15 PM, Gary Kramlich <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On Thu, Aug 25, 2016 at 1:12 AM, Mark Doliner <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Sounds like Gary asked about shirts during the board meeting?
>>>
>>> Current status:
>>> We have IMF accounts with Spreadshirt and Zazzle, and a few Pidgin
>>> shirt designs in each.
>>> http://imfreedom.spreadshirt.com/
>>> http://www.zazzle.com/imfreedom
>>
>> OMG why are they so expensive?!  That said, do we get a cut of those
>> sales or are those the "at cost" values?
>
> Looks like Spreadshirt is configured to give us $2 per shirt and
> Zazzle is configured to give us a 15% royalty (about $4 out of $29 on
> an American Apparel ringer tshirt).
>
> Random data point: I should add that I've been happier with shirts
> from Spreadshirt recently. My general impression is that Zazzle uses
> some sort of dot-matrix-printer-on-a-shirt technology that fades more
> quickly after washings, whereas Spreadshirt has the ability to do a
> thicker iron-on applicable as long as the source image is a vector
> with a limited number of a colors (I don't know if the Pidgin images
> on Spreadshirt meet these requirements).

Matthew

Re: Shirts and email addresses

Ethan Blanton-3
Matthew spake unto us the following wisdom:
> I see that payments are made by check, rather than PayPal; I presume
> that's a deliberate choice? It doesn't look like either site contains
> (or will reveal) bank details, and they indicate that this will
> prevent us from receiving payment. Ethan mentioned that we have
> received payments, so I guess there's no need to change things until
> the banking details change. We have a $3.20 commission waiting at
> Dazzle since 2014, but they only send a check when we've accumulated
> $100 ($50 if we use Paypal), while at Spreadshirt we had a $2
> commission from July that should have been received in August.

We have received Spreadshirt payments via ACH, I just looked.  I do
not believe we have ever received a Zazzle payment, and a quick grep
across the books shows no such payment.  We have not received a
Spreadshirt payment since 2014-10-16 (although, e.g., a payment on the
August statement wouldn't be entered yet).

We can set either one up for Paypal, that's not a problem.

Matthew, [hidden email] is our primary Paypal contact,
you should start receiving information about our Paypal account.  We
probably need to look into its general setup, it still lists Mark as
the primary contact individual, and I can't seem to change that
online.  Since we created that account I believe they have added more
complex possibilities for setting up an organization (e.g., individual
user logins rather than shared logins), perhaps I should call them and
ask how we get that going.

On Tue, Aug 30, 2016 at 8:01 AM, Ethan Blanton <[hidden email]> wrote:
> We have received Spreadshirt payments via ACH, I just looked.

I'm speculating, but maybe they had an ACH option a long time ago then
stopped supporting it and switched to Paypal, instead? I don't
remember any details about this.

> I do
> not believe we have ever received a Zazzle payment, and a quick grep
> across the books shows no such payment.  We have not received a
> Spreadshirt payment since 2014-10-16 (although, e.g., a payment on the
> August statement wouldn't be entered yet).

Yeah, we've almost never sold anything.

> Matthew, [hidden email] is our primary Paypal contact,
> you should start receiving information about our Paypal account.

Oh yeah, duh. I'll send that info to Matthew.

> We
> probably need to look into its general setup, it still lists Mark as
> the primary contact individual, and I can't seem to change that
> online.  Since we created that account I believe they have added more
> complex possibilities for setting up an organization (e.g., individual
> user logins rather than shared logins),

Being configured as an organization would be an improvement, if
possible. I do think it's configured with my name and address, which
is a little goofy. Matthew: Feel free to change that once you have
access.

Re: Shirts and email addresses

Ethan Blanton-3
Mark Doliner spake unto us the following wisdom:
> I do think it's configured with my name and address, which
> is a little goofy. Matthew: Feel free to change that once you have
> access.

But don't change the password without coordinating with me!

Re: Shirts and email addresses

Matthew
I just created a new shirt as an example of the least expensive shirt
possible with a $1.00 commission. It costs $16.49, and is composed of
a basic t-shirt with a design on the front. The price goes up to
$21.99 if I add a design to the back.

There are two reasons that the previous shirts are expensive:

1. The base product is relatively expensive.
2. Art on front + back is expensive.

Adium's basic shirts are still $1.00 less because they currently have
commission set to $0.

Matthew

--

Matthew