Staging 2.12.0

Gary Kramlich
Greetings Programs!

As some of you know we're staging 2.12.0 for a release.  The release
is really a house cleaning removing Facebook XMPP (been dead awhile),
Y!M (the dead protocol, not the new one Eion whipped up), MSN (been
dead awhile), and MXIT (shutdown 20160930).

It will also have fixes for SASL auth for IRC, mostly to help keep
people connect to Freenode securely.  As well as continue to keep
everyone connected to AIM.

That said, life's been busy the past few weeks and we have a deadline
coming up with AOL.  I'm trying to get the date extended, but the auth
is going to change on 20161016.  So I'm writing this to ask how people
feel about skipping the string freeze for this release.  This won't be
necessary if I can get AOL to push out the date, but I'm kind of
coming in here at the last minute asking for an extension.

So let me know how you feel about skipping the freeze.  To the best of
my knowledge there are no new strings, but lots of them should have
been deleted.

Gary Kramlich <[hidden email]>

Re: Staging 2.12.0

Richard Laager
Adding [hidden email].

Translators should start updating now!

There *have* been string changes. For example, we removed mentions of
PRPLs that have been removed.

Regardless, Gary, I think you should schedule the release ASAP. If you
give me the deadline for translation commits, I'll do my best to pull in
translation updates before then. But don't hold up the release on them.

--
Richard

Re: Staging 2.12.0

Gary Kramlich
On Fri, Oct 14, 2016 at 2:21 AM, Richard Laager <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Adding [hidden email].
>
> Translators should start updating now!
>
> There *have* been string changes. For example, we removed mentions of
> PRPLs that have been removed.
>
> Regardless, Gary, I think you should schedule the release ASAP. If you
> give me the deadline for translation commits, I'll do my best to pull in
> translation updates before then. But don't hold up the release on them.

The current date for the AIM change over is 20161016.  That said,
dequis thinks we might be alright if we miss that date (see support@).

> --
> Richard

Gary Kramlich <[hidden email]>

Re: Staging 2.12.0

Richard Laager
On 10/14/2016 10:02 AM, Piotr Drąg wrote:
> When can we expect a new POT file uploaded to Transifex?

I just uploaded one now, for 2.x.y.

I can't remember if we had to manually do this before. Either way, we
should look into automating this at some point.

--
Richard

Re: Staging 2.12.0

Gary Kramlich

On Oct 14, 2016 3:43 PM, "Richard Laager" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 10/14/2016 10:02 AM, Piotr Drąg wrote:
> > When can we expect a new POT file uploaded to Transifex?
>
> I just uploaded one now, for 2.x.y.
>
> I can't remember if we had to manually do this before. Either way, we
> should look into automating this at some point.

I started looking at that but it appeared to send an email notification to everyone on update. If there's a way to turn that off, cool otherwise we can limit it to once a week or something, or see if we can detect a change.