Quantcast

Taskbar Flashing

Kelly Brownsberger
I'm running Pidgin on Windows (XP) - is there a setting/preference to instruct Pidgin to not flash in the Windows taskbar while running?  I'm not really sure why it's flashing exactly, but I'm guessing it's notifying me that one or more buddies just came online.  That's not really useful to me and because I'm using Pidgin to consolidate four different IM networks together, my buddy list is quite large.  So, Pidgin is pretty much flashing constantly all day.

Pidgin is definitely a keeper if I can figure out how to make it stop flashing, but nothing is jumping out at me from scanning the menu options

Any tips would be appreciated

Thanks -kelly

Re: Taskbar Flashing

David Woolley (E.L)
Kelly Brownsberger wrote:
> I'm running Pidgin on Windows (XP) - is there a setting/preference to
> instruct Pidgin to not flash in the Windows taskbar while running?  I'm
> not really sure why it's flashing exactly, but I'm guessing it's
> notifying me that one or more buddies just came online.  That's not

This change might be more difficult than it seems!

Firstly the flashing is actually done by Windows and is the result of a
window requesting focus when it belongs to an application that is not
currently running, so it would be the byproduct of Pidgin trying to
focus a window, and therefore difficult to remove without also
preventing Pidgin switching windows automatically when it is the current
foreground application.

Secondly, searching the code for likely keywords failed to find any
place, except when trying to start a second copy of Pidgin, where it
explicitly sets focus.  This could be because I didn't try the right
keywords, but it could mean that it is the side effect of modifying the
contents of a window using the graphics library that Pidgin uses.

On the other hand, focus setting operations on the buddy window do seem
to trigger protocol dependent operations, so not trying to set focus may
result in the buddy window not updating properly.  (Windows relies on
message which can be spied on by various windows, and the buddy window
is responding to such a message, which means that there need not be any
place in the code where the request is explicitly made.)  I'm not sure
if this is actually the actual final focussing, which will probably
still happen, or the request to focus.

I'm not an expert on the structure of the Pidgin source code, nor on
Win32 APIs that support the Windows GUI, but it seems, at least,
possible that this behaviour may be difficult to change.  On the other
hand, I may well have overlooked something.

--
David Woolley

RE: Taskbar Flashing

David Balazic-2
Which version of Pidgin?

In latest (v2.6.x) this can be set in menu Tools / Plugins : Message Notification

Regards,
David

Re: Taskbar Flashing

Kelly Brownsberger
I'm running 2.6.3

By "In latest (v2.6.x) this can be set in menu Tools / Plugins : Message Notification" you mean I can UNCHECK "Message Notification".  I have ZERO plugins checked.  What I'm describing doesn't appear to be a notification.  It's just a weird flashing that happen randomly throughout the day.

I'll fire up Camtasia and take a video of it next time it happens and send it to you guys :)

David Woolley explanation sounds accurate - this seems like a low level Windowing oddity more than a feature.

On Fri, Oct 23, 2009 at 9:19 AM, David Balazic <[hidden email]> wrote:
Which version of Pidgin?

In latest (v2.6.x) this can be set in menu Tools / Plugins : Message Notification

Regards,
David

RE: Taskbar Flashing

David Balazic-2
Aha. Which window is flashin?
If it is the buddy list, then you can just close it (make sure you have set it to minimize to systray,
I think this is the default).

Regards,
David

Re: Taskbar Flashing

Kelly Brownsberger
yes, it's the buddy list and I do have it minimized to the system tray.  it will randomly reappear and start flashing in the task bar like this:  http://kellybrownsberger.com/pidgin_likes_to_flash.jpg

in that screenshot, my friend happened to ping me a few seconds before Pidgin started flashing, but I don't believe they're related.  The buddy list likes to just appear from the system tray and start flashing.  It doesn't maximize itself or come into view - just appears in the taskbar and starts flashing.

Is this a feature I don't understand?  It seems to be trying to notify me of something, but I don't know what :)