Untranslatable message in XMPP

Bugzilla from bjoernv@arcor.de
Recently I tried to register a new XMPP username. I am not sure, if
the "Register New XMPP Account" dialog is only displayed, if I use
an existing account name (which is not free for new registration).

The problem with this dialog is, that it contains the English
message "Choose a username and password to register with this
server". A screenshot is attached.

This English message is not part of Pidgin. It comes from an
Ejabberd XMPP server (I replaces some IDs with "..."):

<stream:features><mechanisms
xmlns='http://jabber.org/protocol/caps' hash='sha-1'
node='http://www.process-one.net/en/ejabberd/' ver='...'/><register
xmlns='http://jabber.org/features/iq-register'/></stream:features>
<iq from='...' id='... type='result'><query
xmlns='jabber:iq:register'><instructions>Choose a username and
password to register with this

I know, that we translators can only translate strings from Pidgin,
but not server messages. But may be, the servers only send a limited
number of messages. Then it's possible to translate them with some
codes changes.

From my experience, the XMPP registration process is often a bit
inapprehensible for Newbies. English messages make it even more
inapprehensible.

Any ideas?

Greetings,
Björn

new-xmpp-account.png (33K) Download Attachment

Re: Untranslatable message in XMPP

Richard Laager
Assuming we want to keep showing the instructions the server sends
(because maybe it's something like "passwords must be at least 8
characters with one capital letter and one number"), perhaps we could
change the dialog to say something like:

  Enter a username and password to create an account. The server
  provided these instructions:
    Choose a username and password to register with this server

Then you could translate the first message.

--
Richard