XMPP - How to add entity capabilities from a third party plug-in?

XMPP - How to add entity capabilities from a third party plug-in?

Germán Máquez Mejía
Hello,

I am working on an end-to-end encryption plug-in with the OMEMO XMPP
extension for libpurple 2.10.12 and am stuck at finding a way to add
a feature to the client's capabilities to announce OMEMO support (to be
able to receive PEP notifications of a certain type).

What is the correct way for a third party plug-in to add the capability
it provides to the disco#info?

Apart from the jabber-signals, the Jabber plug-in doesn't expose any
other methods AFAIK, in particular jabber_add_feature(). Or does it?

I shall be very grateful for any help you can provide.

Best regards,
Mancho

Re: XMPP - How to add entity capabilities from a third party plug-in?

Eion Robb-3
Hi there,

What'll probably be easiest is to compile in-tree in the libpurple/protocols/jabber subfolder.  The jabber headers aren't public, but they are pretty stable.  Otherwise, pulling out the jabber headers into your own project.  I've done both for different xmpp extension plugins in the past, and they're both about as annoying as each other :)

Cheers,
Eion

On 3 December 2016 at 03:10, Germán Máquez Mejía <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello,

I am working on an end-to-end encryption plug-in with the OMEMO XMPP
extension for libpurple 2.10.12 and am stuck at finding a way to add
a feature to the client's capabilities to announce OMEMO support (to be
able to receive PEP notifications of a certain type).

What is the correct way for a third party plug-in to add the capability
it provides to the disco#info?

Apart from the jabber-signals, the Jabber plug-in doesn't expose any
other methods AFAIK, in particular jabber_add_feature(). Or does it?

I shall be very grateful for any help you can provide.

Best regards,
Mancho

Re: XMPP - How to add entity capabilities from a third party plug-in?

Germán Máquez Mejía
It works!

Thank you sooo much Eion! Your code of XMPP Ignore Groups was of huge
help too. ;)

Best regards,
Mancho

Am Sonntag, den 04.12.2016, 13:38 +0100 schrieb Germán Máquez Mejía:

> Thanks! I'll try the latter first and see how it works ;)
>
> Am 04.12.2016 um 05:30 schrieb Eion Robb:
> > Hi there,
> >
> > What'll probably be easiest is to compile in-tree in the
> > libpurple/protocols/jabber subfolder.  The jabber headers aren't
> > public, but they are pretty stable.  Otherwise, pulling out the
> > jabber headers into your own project.  I've done both for different
> > xmpp extension plugins in the past, and they're both about as
> > annoying as each other :)
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Eion
> >
> > On 3 December 2016 at 03:10, Germán Máquez Mejía <marquez.mejia@fu-
> > berlin.de> wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > I am working on an end-to-end encryption plug-in with the OMEMO
> > > XMPP
> > > extension for libpurple 2.10.12 and am stuck at finding a way to
> > > add
> > > a feature to the client's capabilities to announce OMEMO support
> > > (to be
> > > able to receive PEP notifications of a certain type).
> > >
> > > What is the correct way for a third party plug-in to add the
> > > capability
> > > it provides to the disco#info?
> > >
> > > Apart from the jabber-signals, the Jabber plug-in doesn't expose
> > > any
> > > other methods AFAIK, in particular jabber_add_feature(). Or does
> > > it?
> > >
> > > I shall be very grateful for any help you can provide.
> > >
> > > Best regards,
> > > Mancho

Re: XMPP - How to add entity capabilities from a third party plug-in?

Eion Robb-3
Awesome, that's great news :)

Do you have a repo or website that we can link to from the ThirdPartyPlugins wiki page to point people to who want to try out your plugin?

Cheers,
Eion

On 5 December 2016 at 11:36, Germán Márquez Mejía <[hidden email]> wrote:
It works!

Thank you sooo much Eion! Your code of XMPP Ignore Groups was of huge
help too. ;)

Best regards,
Mancho

Am Sonntag, den 04.12.2016, 13:38 +0100 schrieb Germán Máquez Mejía:
> Thanks! I'll try the latter first and see how it works ;)
>
> Am 04.12.2016 um 05:30 schrieb Eion Robb:
> > Hi there,
> >
> > What'll probably be easiest is to compile in-tree in the
> > libpurple/protocols/jabber subfolder.  The jabber headers aren't
> > public, but they are pretty stable.  Otherwise, pulling out the
> > jabber headers into your own project.  I've done both for different
> > xmpp extension plugins in the past, and they're both about as
> > annoying as each other :)
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Eion
> >
> > On 3 December 2016 at 03:10, Germán Máquez Mejía <marquez.mejia@fu-
> > berlin.de> wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > I am working on an end-to-end encryption plug-in with the OMEMO
> > > XMPP
> > > extension for libpurple 2.10.12 and am stuck at finding a way to
> > > add
> > > a feature to the client's capabilities to announce OMEMO support
> > > (to be
> > > able to receive PEP notifications of a certain type).
> > >
> > > What is the correct way for a third party plug-in to add the
> > > capability
> > > it provides to the disco#info?
> > >
> > > Apart from the jabber-signals, the Jabber plug-in doesn't expose
> > > any
> > > other methods AFAIK, in particular jabber_add_feature(). Or does
> > > it?
> > >
> > > I shall be very grateful for any help you can provide.
> > >
> > > Best regards,
> > > Mancho

Re: XMPP - How to add entity capabilities from a third party plug-in?

Germán Máquez Mejía
https://git.imp.fu-berlin.de/mancho/libpurple-omemo-plugin

But I think it's too soon to announce it publicly. It doesn't really do anything useful yet and the code is VERY messy and ugly. In a whole it's not even in a pre-alpha state. I'm doing this as a prototype to be part of my bachelor thesis though, so it should progress rather fast ;)