[ gaim-Feature Requests-1177886 ] new option: stay joing after closing an irc channel window

[ gaim-Feature Requests-1177886 ] new option: stay joing after closing an irc channel window

SourceForge.net
Feature Requests item #1177886, was opened at 2005-04-06 12:10
You can respond by visiting:
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=350235&aid=1177886&group_id=235

not just the latest update.
Category: irc
Group: None

Initial Comment:
I would regularly use Gaim as my IRC client if it would
allow me to "join" channels while keeping those pesky
channel windows away, the same way that, say, I am
"joined" with my regular jabber contacts: I do not have
to keep a window open to be reachable by them. Once
they contact me, a window pops up, or optionnally, the
tray icon logo blips.

What I would like would be an option that would allow
me to join IRC channels without having to keep that IRC
channel window open. When activity is detected in the
channel, some proper plugin/monitors could warn me
their usual way.

I guess this could be done by having a special setting
in the IRC channels. When right clicked in the buddy
list, one could have a "channel joined" toggle that
would allow us to join/part channels without having the
window open.

All this because the current system doesn't scale: once
you're in 4 channels, you have to keep 4 window open.
This is unbearable, and not really within the general
spirit of other IRC clients...

Comment By: Luke Schierer (lschiere)
Date: 2007-04-20 11:01

Message:
Logged In: YES
user_id=28833
Originator: NO

still valid to http://developer.pidgin.im.  Thanks.

Comment By: Megan Schneider (ciran)
Date: 2006-08-11 11:06

Message:
Logged In: YES
user_id=801517

Adding comments from #1524806 (Jonathan Kolb - jkolb171):
I am usually logged in to an IRC server, and sit on
several mostly idle channels. It would be nice if I
didn't have to leave a window open all the time just to
recieve several messages a day.

Comment By: scat (vaclavovic)
Date: 2005-04-27 05:58

Message:
Logged In: YES
user_id=1267629

Yes, I agree, this is great idea. Especially for jabber
conferences. (moved from 1190875)

Comment By: Ondrej Svetlik (osvetlik)
Date: 2005-04-27 05:50

Message:
Logged In: YES
user_id=633770

I see that my last comment could be misunderstood, so I'd
like to make it clear:
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=350235&aid=1190875&group_id=235
It would be useful to have a possibility to be in a
chat without having the window open. Incomming message
would behave like all other IM messages do. If it is
already possible, please excuse me being so lazy to
find out.

Comment By: Ondrej Svetlik (osvetlik)
Date: 2005-04-27 05:44

Message:
Logged In: YES
user_id=633770

I vote for this one too.

Comment By: Ethan Blanton (eblanton)
Date: 2005-04-06 12:12

Message:
Logged In: YES
user_id=298616

This is not likely to be implemented.

I disagree; it is very bearable, and very much in the spirit
of _all_ other IRC clients.  You need not have four windows
open in your example, simply put four tabs in the same window.